General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
VDW

For those who want a quick look at VDW to see what its all about, the link below is just one site.
If I get 3/4 VDW bets a week out of it im happy. my way is to buy and sell prices and take a profit.
Some people lay certain horses.
One or two I know bet very large amounts and rarely loose.
You need at least 6 months to sort out in your mind what he meant in his letters. Dont think that those who critisize VDW know what their talking about, they dont. There are at least two hidden messages, one is there for all to see but you have to think about it. The other was given out on a site but was originally told in confidence. Its interesting but not vital.
spranger ( starting price range ) sp range r

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jackform/advice.html

Re: VDW

Thanks mate, it's interesting. Could you give us a clue where to look on that page for the 'hidden elements', I know I'm lazy.

Does anyone know if there are any VDW discussion boards still going on the net?I have done a few searches but can't find any.

The old Gummy board used to be a very lively place, full of debate,in it's heyday.

Hi All
Most VDW groups have gone. There is a privare one but I dont know the whereabouts of it now. Theracingforum have one that comes to life now and a again.
If you buy the new book I think there is some mention of a forum run by Tony Peach.
sp

Thanks sp,

I’ve had a look at the racingforum that you mentioned.

I was on the Gummy board and then later on the Tony Peach site. I used to post as bream on Gummy. Maybe we have “met” before?

Unfortunately due to work and family pressures, I couldn’t take best advantage of all of the hints that people were prepared to offer on those boards, although I did pick up a fair bit about the methodology.

When some people on the Tony Peach board started talk of forming a sort of inner sanctum, for the really dedicated members to exchange views, I certainly didn’t feel that I could contribute enough and felt that in fairness I should bow out.

I have more time on my hands now and my interest in the methodology has always remained. It is a shame, from my point of view, that there is not the same level of discussion about it these days. Perhaps it has been picked over that many times that most people have now become bored with it.

C’est la vie.

Hi Bricks Marlin
If I had time on my hands I would love to recreate VDW so everyone could access it. By that I mean with all the races planned out and all the terminology written and explained. Maybe when I retire!!!!
On a different note. The VDW ratings and the speed figures are coming in very handy. I am now transferring races to a database for different age groups and different race types. Long hours spent on research but showing the first fruits already.
sp

Hi Bricks

There are some articles on the following links

http://racetipsuk.tripod.com/van_der_wheil_method.htm#Van%20Der%20Wheil%20Method

http://racetipsuk.tripod.com/van_der_wheil_method.htm#A%20METHOD%20BY%20C%20Van%20der%20Wheil

In the Book written by Jock Bingham The final page carried the heading VDW Sets A Puzzle' Jock was asked to solve a race that was won by Travado. VDW stated This is done quite differently from anything I have shown to date

Jock did not manage to work out why Travado was selected by VDW

This may be how VDW selected Travado

The race that VDW mentioned, which Travado won at 5/2, was at Huntingdon 21/11/95,The Peterborough Chase.

The prep race before the Huntindon race was at Exeter on 31/10/95,The Plmouth Gin Challange Cup, a Topspeed fig of 128 was recorded by Travado

VDW encouraged readers to get to know the trainers habits. (If you want to know where the coach is going, ask the coach driver)

When I examined the career history of Travado I realised that VDW new exactly what the trainer had in mind after the Exeter run.

Two years earlier, Travado ran in guess what?

31/10/1993 Exeter The Plymouth Gin Challenge Cup recording a Topspeed Figure of 127. Then onto Huntingdon and wins The Peterborough Chase

Two of the other selections he mentioned followed the same approach. Ever Smile and Valiant Warrior.

Good Luck

Monster

just looked at following site, may be of interest.

WHOOPS, www.wanderwhiel.co.uk

A lot of work Monster
Nice to see your interest in VDW. Can you recall the position in the betting in Travado's last 3 races prior to the race puzzle?
sp

xerxes
Do you mean www.vanderwheil.co.uk ?
sp

sorry, YES.

Hi Bream/Monster.

I found this forum by accident when going through looking for site with an interest in VDW.

I am having a slight altercation with the RFU forum editor who claims VDW is nonsense. They ran a VDW day in/on the forum to see what other think about VDW, waste of time or still paying its way.

I have no idea how many posts that forum usually receives in a given week, but I was disappointed at the lack of response (five or six letters) So I was trying to have a quick look and see if the interest in VDW had dropped off on the web. The problem with that is any serious discussion of VDW goes on behind closed doors. This is mainly down to the doubters (who always have plenty to say) and the lurkers who of course say nothing.

There is/was a very good little forum set up by Fulham, but that is now dying the death because of the know alls that will explain nothing, just that's all wrong read the books again, and of course the lurkers.

The only active VDW forum I know of is by invation only. Races are discussed before the off and members DO go into some detail how they work, and why they think as they do about the old examples.

Monster thinking about it you may not know Mtoto but hopefully you will remember Stone (Danny) my son he joined the Peach forum.

Be Lucky

Hi Spranger

According to the Racing Post, The SP for travado's last 3 runs were
30/100
9/2
13/2

You may find that some trainers are creatures of Habit.

Sergeant Cecil
Ran in the John Porter (Prep Race) (Distance Too Short)
Next ran in the Yorkshire Cup placed 2nd

Ran in John Porter (Prep)
Next Yorkshire Cup, won

Other Trainer Angles

Check out the Daily Mail 'Trainer Target' which lists trainers who are contested races that they have won before.(Farming races with different runners)

Recent example

Veenwouden: The Trainer had won the Salisbury race before. Used Newbury as part of the Prep (10f ) and upped in Trip. Veenwouden was upped in trip and had a decent run over 10f at Newbury. Won at 3/1 but was available earlier in the day at 12.00 on BF. This one would have been ideal for your Trading strategy.

Good Luck

Monster

Hi Mtoto

I remember Danny very well from the Peach Forum. the last I remember you and he were doing some interesting stuff with ratings that were close to the ones that VDW devised for himself as he never gave away how he compiled them, your efforts were doing very well.

My claim to fame was picking the winners on the Forum of the Lancashire Oaks and the Old Newton Cup, (In advance) although I only backed Playful Act

I dropped out of the Forum when they wanted to charge £10 for using it. what a cheek we were giving away what we had learned and then intended charging us for helping other who were new to VDW.

Good Luck

Monster

Hi Mtoto
Nice email to the Update Forum.
Well Done
sp

IF ANYONE WANTS TO LEARN ABOUT VAN DER WHEIL THEN READ WHAT MONSTER AND MTOTO HAVE TO SAY.THEY KNOW THEIR STUFF AND WILL SHARE A BIT WITH YOU WITHOUT GETTING TOO IRATE.EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN VIEWS ON VAN DER WHEIL. I KNOW I WILL READ ANYTHING THEY PUT ON THE FORUM AND LOOK INTO IT WITH INTEREST.
SP

Monster,

Too be honest I never joined the Peach forum because I'm not sure if the owner of these forums can use any of the postings for their own use. As far as I'm concerned Mr Peach has made more than enough money out of VDW, and I didn't want to give him anymore ammunition for yet another book. If Mr Peach had any real interest in VDW I think he could have done far more in investigating the anomalies that already exists in the books he has printed/published. I note he has yet another booklet out, if one buys it it is just another £15 down the drain, as I can't find anything in it that advances the understanding of VDW.

SP,

Glad you liked the article in the RFU. Afraid Mr Wheldon got right up my nose. If someone has had a serious look/study of VDW and doesn't like it fair enough. I don't know what GW knows about VDW but to say its nonsense is right out of order. I think the least he should do is explain why he thinks as he does.

Be Lucky

Hi Mtoto

My understanding is that anything you submit on a Forum remains the copyright of the Author, so Tony Peach would not be able to publish in a Book or Ebook Format without your permission.

Sad Ken published some of his concepts in an Ebook which I think Tony Peach was involved in.

How is Danny, I hope he is keeping well.

Good Luck

Monster

Hi Monster,

Many thanks for the pointers.I’ve had a look and I think I see what you mean. I’ve had a look at the other 3 horses mentioned as well. They seem to have been disadvantaged yet still put in decent performances in the past. It’s all very interesting.

VDW seems to have mentioned the bus driver on a couple of occasions and it surprises me how soon I forget it. It’s particularly surprising, seeing as how I puzzled for so long over Rifle Brigade and then, at least in my own mind, saw why it was labelled as an outstanding bet once I worked out what the trainer was up to.

Hi Mtoto,

It’s great to see you are still around on forums and still standing your ground. I well remember your difference of opinion with Guest over the ability rating.

I haven’t bought the RFU for years now, but I remember GW seemed negative in his attitude to the VDW writings. Plenty of people have rubbished the writings over the years of course, but anyone who says, in all seriousness, that VDW is rubbish, hasn’t got a clue what they are talking about. Whoever wrote those articles was way ahead of their time IMO. There are logical thought processes running through all the VDW selections that I have looked at so far, that are not coincidence.

Of course it is a completely different matter trying to replicate the results that VDW claimed, because I don't have the same depth of knowlege and I know that I still cannot see the full picture yet.

Monster,

If its correct that the author hold the copyright I'm a little surprise Mr Peach was allowed to publish TGY and subsequent literature. As far as I can make out VDW and Mr Peach had fallen out before they were published. I though once something and been made public in a forum it was out of copyright. I wasn't about to take a chance with Mr Peach lurking in the back ground.

Danny is fine, he spends most of his time aboard, and following the England cricket team. He is well into this laying, it frightens me to death. Last week I had a phone call can Giganticus win? All I said was I wouldn't back it in that class at Chester, he laid for more than I care to think about!!

Be Lucky

1 2 3 4 5