Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: wind 050, runways 13?

They switched to the 4's very soon after your post. The construction on 4R/22L is suposedly finished, yet it was closed this morning, like you thought. Presumably, as soon as they could open 4R, they switched over to the 4's-I heard a jetBlue report a 30 knot crosswind on final as they were in the process of switching, I think he was the last to land on 13L.

-By the way anybody know why 4R/22L is still closed every now and then, and why there still seems to be an overall reluctance not to use the 4's/22's when wind permits and the runways are open according to ATIS? I mean, you know when you're using a runway alot when approach controllers say "you are 5 miles from MEALS, cleared ILS 4R"-he corrected himself, of course.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was listening to the live ATC today (Dec 11) around 1:15 PM. JFK was landing 13L&R, but the tower was reporting winds as 040 at 11 and 050 at 12. With those winds, wouldn't it be better to use the 4's for landing, instead of having a 12 knot direct crosswind?

I see some past posts that indicate there might be or have recently been some construction on at least one of the 4/22's. Are they closed, and thus the reason for using the 13's with a NE wind? It doesn't seem like the 4's should conflict with traffic for LGA.

Just curious. Thanks.