Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Antonov 225 times

Any problems with the compliance with ATC or with the operation? (Recalling 1991 when it landed at EWR on 4R instead of 4L as planned and instructed, with one engine out.)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Its here. Its huge. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. Its parked over at hangar 12.

Replying to:

It arrived at Montreal Mirabel just an hour ago, and it is *supposed* to depart for JFK on Monday, Dec. 9 at 11:30 a.m, putting it into JFK at about 12:30 pm. Winds will be NW, so it will almost certainly land on Runway 31L. I'm purely guessing the parking area would be Hangar 12, the former TWA hangar. The departure is slated for noon on Wednesday, Dec. 11.

But beware. The Antonov operations are very notorious for running late, sometimes days! If you're listening on the radio scanner, the call sign is usually "Alpha Delta Bravo". ADB their flight strip identifier, for Antonov Design Bureau. It might also just be "Antonov".

So all you NY folks, keep me updated via this board on how it goes. I used to get involved in the An-124 operation at JFK back when I worked there. Now I'm in Chicago, so relying on email to hear about this. In the past, the -225 has often been an "interesting" operation in the USA, to put it very nicely.

Replying to:

if the Antonov 225 comes here on the 9 what time will it be coming in? i really wanna c it! pleeeeeaaasseee lemme know the time so i can get the best pics of it

Re: Re: Antonov 225 times

They sent the crew out to an automotive parts store for 10 quarts of oil for the engines. Built in 1985, it is showing it's age. There are 6 crew members including 2 engineers, a radio operator and navigator who uses a 6 inch orange radar with a rubber gasket for his face. Everything is labeled in Russian only. I'll send Dave some pictures.

Replying to:

It arrived at Montreal Mirabel just an hour ago, and it is *supposed* to depart for JFK on Monday, Dec. 9 at 11:30 a.m, putting it into JFK at about 12:30 pm. Winds will be NW, so it will almost certainly land on Runway 31L. I'm purely guessing the parking area would be Hangar 12, the former TWA hangar. The departure is slated for noon on Wednesday, Dec. 11.

But beware. The Antonov operations are very notorious for running late, sometimes days! If you're listening on the radio scanner, the call sign is usually "Alpha Delta Bravo". ADB their flight strip identifier, for Antonov Design Bureau. It might also just be "Antonov".

So all you NY folks, keep me updated via this board on how it goes. I used to get involved in the An-124 operation at JFK back when I worked there. Now I'm in Chicago, so relying on email to hear about this. In the past, the -225 has often been an "interesting" operation in the USA, to put it very nicely.

Replying to:

if the Antonov 225 comes here on the 9 what time will it be coming in? i really wanna c it! pleeeeeaaasseee lemme know the time so i can get the best pics of it