Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Listening to JFK traffic from Philly

Hi guys,

I live down here in Philly, near Trenton Mercer Airport... I've been wondering, if I bought a scanner.... would I be able to listen to ATC up in JFK? It's about 80 miles away, not sure if I'd be able to hear NY Center or not? Any insight? I have pilot friends who fly for Olympic Airways, out of Terminal 1... it'd be nice to listen to their flights over the radio here and there.

Gus

Re: Listening to JFK traffic from Philly

You wouldn't be able to hear any transmissions from the ground, regardless. From about 10mi north of TTN, I can hear the airborne transmissions on frequencies like Kennedy approach on 125.7, and even Boston center 135.8 occasionally, but the other frequencies like JFK's tower, ground, and clearance delivery are all unhearable. Strangely, the only ground-based transmission that I can hear is LGA ATIS on 25.95

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi guys,

I live down here in Philly, near Trenton Mercer Airport... I've been wondering, if I bought a scanner.... would I be able to listen to ATC up in JFK? It's about 80 miles away, not sure if I'd be able to hear NY Center or not? Any insight? I have pilot friends who fly for Olympic Airways, out of Terminal 1... it'd be nice to listen to their flights over the radio here and there.

Gus

Re: Re: Listening to JFK traffic from Philly

Same here i can only pick up 125.7 occasionally i can hear the tower but only the transmission from the aircraft. Maybe if you get one of those big towers u can put up on ur house lol sorry dont think you will be able to hear it.

Replying to:

You wouldn't be able to hear any transmissions from the ground, regardless. From about 10mi north of TTN, I can hear the airborne transmissions on frequencies like Kennedy approach on 125.7, and even Boston center 135.8 occasionally, but the other frequencies like JFK's tower, ground, and clearance delivery are all unhearable. Strangely, the only ground-based transmission that I can hear is LGA ATIS on 25.95

Replying to:

Hi guys,

Gus

Re: Listening to JFK traffic from Philly

The other answers are slightly off center! If you live within the line of sight, you will hear both transmissions (ATC and Aircraft). That is one of the first things I learned in training. Most current aviation com's are simply based on line on sight (LOS). As an example, if you are on a hill or above other terrain, JFK will come in perfectly clear.

One of my experiences was in Portland (PDX). I was staying at a place abouy 55 miles from PDX. But since I was within the LOS of PDX (on the side of a mountain) everything from GROUND to Tower came in clear.

Good luck.

Replying to:

Hi guys,

Gus