Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Controller work loads

We cannot see the aircraft in their ramp areas with the ASDE. The smoke referred to is from the heating plant which blocks our view of half the American Airlines ramp. We work up to 2 hours on a position, doesn't matter which one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Typically in the radar enviroment the controller is only allowed to work for an hour and a half before he has to take a break. I dont know if this is standard eveywhere including tower or if its different. The radar the ground has does not show a/c's tags so all they get is primary targets on their screen. Its hard to tell whos who when it gets busy and instead of guessing he'll ask for a position report. From the tower frequently you will not be able to see all a/c's due to fog, snow, low vis, ect.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sorry if the question's been addressed before, but I was just wondering how long a controller typically staffs a position in the tower. Does it differ in regards to whether it's local, ground, or clearance? For example, I was awed and amazed by a ground controller who worked for at least 2 hours straight, 10pm to 12am, on Thursday. Not to mention the guy was hysterically funny-it was great entertainment for me (turned off letterman so I'm could listen more closely) and I'm sure also for the pilots sitting around for hours waiting for a gate-though they might have been afraid to call in once it did open up. I give the guy so much credit though, I was getting a headache just listening to that mess-hope he got a loooong break after that nightmare shift. The only thing that would be more amazing is if this is not an irregular occurrence.

-One last question I was always under the assumption that ground had radar, ASDE I think? However, a lot of the time I hear a ground controller asking a pilot his position. Also I remember a controller on Thursday saying "I can't see you over there because of the smoke" Is my assumption wrong or is the radar not used under certain circumstances? Does it get too crowded?