Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AAL9681 from JFK-JFK

Just heard AAL9681 depart from JFK. Naturally, because it's not a scheduled AAL flight number, I checked it out on flightview.com and flightarrivals.com, and both say that he was departing JFK at 11:45 and arriving JFK at 12:30. On the live ATC, he departing on the bridge climb and proceeded direct to SHIPP, and then went to New York Center on 128.3 Does anyone know what the nature of this flight is and why it leaves, goes all the way out to SHIPP and on New York Center, and would come back? It's an A300 if that helps.

Re: AAL9681 from JFK-JFK

Yup, it's true. AAL9681 climbed up to FL310 after SHIPP, and flew around over the ocean around the SHIPP area for a few minutes, then came all the way back down and landed on 31R. First time I've seen this, didn't know that they could do that from JFK, thought it might be too busy. Any info on this situation would be interesting and helpful, thanks!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Just heard AAL9681 depart from JFK. Naturally, because it's not a scheduled AAL flight number, I checked it out on flightview.com and flightarrivals.com, and both say that he was departing JFK at 11:45 and arriving JFK at 12:30. On the live ATC, he departing on the bridge climb and proceeded direct to SHIPP, and then went to New York Center on 128.3 Does anyone know what the nature of this flight is and why it leaves, goes all the way out to SHIPP and on New York Center, and would come back? It's an A300 if that helps.

Could have been either a training flight or a maintenance check flight.

Replying to:

A very good guess would be that they were doing a test flight of the A300 that encountered turbulence out of JFK on Dec. 3 and that returned to JFK because pilot said airplane felt different. They would have thoroughly inspected the plane, and if it passed they would then test fly it.

JFK is only heavily busy from 3 pm to 9 pm. Any other time you can very easily get in and out, assuming normal conditions. Even during the busy period, if the weather is decent, you can get a one-shot slot although perhaps with a tolerable delay.

Replying to: