Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad News for Weather for Wed.

Ok, I, like others, are flying out on wednesday morning. The weather forecasters are saying that the snow might start tuesday night and not end until wednesday afternoon. They say it will only amount to 6 inches at the most, but obviously my concern remains: what kind of delays will i face with a scheduled 8 AM flight with a storm of this magnitude? Thanks

Re: Bad News for Weather for Wed.

As long as the rate of snow accumulation stays an inch per hour or less, and as long as the total stays below 6 inches of wet snow or 12 inches of dry, JFK usually is able to stay open with at least one runway. Since 8 AM is not a peak period, you should be okay even in a one-runway operation.

I think your bigger headaches might be inside the terminal. The TSA screeners are not accustomed to a high volume of heavily-packed leisure travelers, and if there's bad weather some staff may have difficulty getting out to the airport, making for slow check-in and slow screening. Try to get there as early as you possibly can, especially if you're going out of Terminal 6 or 8 which have bigger morning operations than the others.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Ok, I, like others, are flying out on wednesday morning. The weather forecasters are saying that the snow might start tuesday night and not end until wednesday afternoon. They say it will only amount to 6 inches at the most, but obviously my concern remains: what kind of delays will i face with a scheduled 8 AM flight with a storm of this magnitude? Thanks