Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: 22L is back!

It's very much the season for the 4's, though. That's what JFK uses during Nor'easters.

Runway 22L's former MALSR approach lights were removed last year. A top-notch ALSF2 system has been installed, but it has not yet been commissioned. The ALSF2 setup is necessary for 100' decision height CAT II approaches and for CAT III. My understanding is that the intention is to eventually certify 22L to at least CAT II.

From 1959 to about 1976, Runway 22L had an ALSF1 approach light system similar to what still exists at Runway 13L. As on 13L, it was mounted on very substantial steel towers. Eastern Flight 66 crashed into those light towers in 1975, and one of the NTSB's findings was that approach lights should be mounted on frangible (easy-break) supports. The 22L system was replaced with a MALSR configuration on frangible supports. The new ALSF2 is also on frangible supports. But for some reason, the old battleship towers are still there for 13L, almost 30 years after the NTSB recommendation.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Finally!!!!! Even though the time for 22's in this season is running out thats great that its finally back. Now since 22L is different is the approach going to be different? anyway's great to hear its back up and running,ill have to go spotting soon

Replying to:

I heard flightcheck 69 last night as well. I was about to ask if he was a pilot certifying aircraft or whether there was a specific reason he was doing approaches to 4R and 22L, now I know! Very happy that 22L is back up, hopefully we'll be seeing more use of the 4's/22's (HINT HINT TRACON I'm flying out of JFK wednesday morning, use of 4L/22R would be really awesome! )

Replying to:

Good news to all you 22 spotters out there-Dave told me last night in the chat that 22L is finally finished and later on around 2am I heard "flight check 69," which is some type of certifying aircraft, up there doing numerous approaches to 4R/22L, so the lights must be on. One question though, flight check asked for the 22L approach lights to be turned on and the tower said that there are no approach lights-I was always under the impression that there were and they were just out of service, I see that the "old" 22L had MALSR 1,400 medium range lighting-have the new ones not been commissioned yet? Or will there be no approach lighting now?

Re: Re: 22L is back!

me too-delta flight to MCO Wed. morning...how about some 22R action, eh?

Replying to:

I heard flightcheck 69 last night as well. I was about to ask if he was a pilot certifying aircraft or whether there was a specific reason he was doing approaches to 4R and 22L, now I know! Very happy that 22L is back up, hopefully we'll be seeing more use of the 4's/22's (HINT HINT TRACON I'm flying out of JFK wednesday morning, use of 4L/22R would be really awesome! )

Replying to:

Good news to all you 22 spotters out there-Dave told me last night in the chat that 22L is finally finished and later on around 2am I heard "flight check 69," which is some type of certifying aircraft, up there doing numerous approaches to 4R/22L, so the lights must be on. One question though, flight check asked for the 22L approach lights to be turned on and the tower said that there are no approach lights-I was always under the impression that there were and they were just out of service, I see that the "old" 22L had MALSR 1,400 medium range lighting-have the new ones not been commissioned yet? Or will there be no approach lighting now?