Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Airway intersections that have a meaning

Not NY, sorry, I only know ZDV type stuff

BAYLR - Don Baylor, first manager of the Colorado Rockies

ZIMMR - Don Zimmer, rather famous baseball coach, also of the Rocks at one time.

SHATZ - Contracted last name of the guy who designed Denver TRACON and Class B Airspace. An FAF at Erie Tri-County airport (48V).

FSHER - Of the Deberry 1 STAR into Colorado Springs, named after the Head Coach of the Air Force Academy Fighting Falcons football team, located in Colorado Springs.

NIWOT - Suspiciously close to Niwot, CO

HYGEN - Suspiciously close to Hygiene, CO

GORJE - Suspiciously close to the Royal Gorge Bridge (Highest suspension bridge in US (world?)).

VAILE - On the LOC DME-C approach to EGE, Eagle Co. Regional, and, well, suspiciously close to Vail, CO.

LISSN and LOUDD - Not as glamorous, but, cool enough that they're part of the DECI-BELLE Two DP (DCBEL2.DEN) out of Denver International. A rarely used, noise abatement DP for use only by Stage II aircraft departing to the south. See the play on words?

SARAH, TAILR, GWENS, IRINE, JOULE (pronounced Julie), and ETHAL - Names (or close to) of significant others of the controllers/staff in the Denver area.

There's many more out there... some take some thinking, others are obvious!

~Nate

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What are all the 5 letter intersections in the New York area that "stand" for something. I'll start just off the top of my head;

ORCHY - its above Orchard Beach in The Bronx

ROSLY - the town of Roslyn, LI

PETHS - Maspeth, Queens

Please add more!

Re: Re: Airway intersections that have a meaning

heres a good place to look at some for the UK. Maybe someone wants to setup a site like this for new york...

http://www.nicklocke.co.uk/Points/

Replying to:

ZIMMR - Don Zimmer, rather famous baseball coach, also of the Rocks at one time.

SHATZ - Contracted last name of the guy who designed Denver TRACON and Class B Airspace. An FAF at Erie Tri-County airport (48V).

FSHER - Of the Deberry 1 STAR into Colorado Springs, named after the Head Coach of the Air Force Academy Fighting Falcons football team, located in Colorado Springs.

GORJE - Suspiciously close to the Royal Gorge Bridge (Highest suspension bridge in US (world?)).

VAILE - On the LOC DME-C approach to EGE, Eagle Co. Regional, and, well, suspiciously close to Vail, CO.

LISSN and LOUDD - Not as glamorous, but, cool enough that they're part of the DECI-BELLE Two DP (DCBEL2.DEN) out of Denver International. A rarely used, noise abatement DP for use only by Stage II aircraft departing to the south. See the play on words?

SARAH, TAILR, GWENS, IRINE, JOULE (pronounced Julie), and ETHAL - Names (or close to) of significant others of the controllers/staff in the Denver area.

~Nate

Replying to:

What are all the 5 letter intersections in the New York area that "stand" for something. I'll start just off the top of my head;

PETHS - Maspeth, Queens

Please add more!

Re: Re: Airway intersections that have a meaning

New Hampshire has

ITAWT

ITAWA

PUDYE

TTATT

IDEED

Replying to:

~Nate

Replying to:

PETHS - Maspeth, Queens

Please add more!