Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ATP check ride

When I took my road test I pulled up with my mommy and her 1982 Buick. For the ATP check ride, where does the pilot get a hold of a jet? What type of aircraft is commonly used?

What is the test like?

FYI: The one on FS-2002 is tough, I passed it after several times. It has an engine failure at takeoff, low speed manuvers, a VOR hold and an ILS landing with 1/2 mile visibility. You can't use autopilot. It takes 45 minutes.

Re: ATP check ride

You don't need a jet; you don't even need a multi, although your ATP would then be for single-engine only. The test has an engine failure at V1, a steep turn, stalls in takeoff, clean, and landing configurations (one of which is turning), an in-flight shutdown, nose-high and nose-low unusual attitudes, a hold, 2 precision approaches (one of which is with an engine out, and one of which is hand-flown), 2 non-precision approaches (one of which includes a procedure turn, and one of which doesn't include radar vectors), a circling approach, 2 missed approaches (one of which from a precision), 3 landings (one of which full stop, one of which with an engine out, one of which from a circling approach, a rejected landing, and possibly a no-flap landing, in addition to all of the airplane-specific knowledge and general ATP knowledge as well as hour and age requirements.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

When I took my road test I pulled up with my mommy and her 1982 Buick. For the ATP check ride, where does the pilot get a hold of a jet? What type of aircraft is commonly used?

What is the test like?

FYI: The one on FS-2002 is tough, I passed it after several times. It has an engine failure at takeoff, low speed manuvers, a VOR hold and an ILS landing with 1/2 mile visibility. You can't use autopilot. It takes 45 minutes.