Return to Website

JFK Tower Open Discussion

Comments, questions, and suggestions for travel, air traffic, and aviation.

JFK Tower Open Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Islip Viewing area

Go down Vets Highway to where you can see runway 6. If you're coming from the northwest, make a Left, if you're coming from the southeast, make a right. Then make another quick right and follow smithtown avenue down a little. Theres a dirt patch right down by 6 that I think you can still drive up onto, although it's a little bumpy. Also, if you keep going, I believe it's after the 1st hanger but i'm not sure, there's a little driveway with a row of planes on the left side, then another brown hanger on the left and it leads in a ways then opens up to a parking area and a ramp(where I fly out of). I'm sure there are spots on Lincoln Ave. too if you look. Might wanna check out the area by the FAA observing station towards the end of the terminal but I don't know if there's a place to legally park without paying. The spot by the ramp I fly out of is probably the best for views of the 33's and 24. The dirt patch is great for 6, the FAA station is good for the 33's, 15's and 24.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

anyone know any good spots to watch planes at Islip? i know there aren't many planes arriving/departing like JFK, i need something different to watch and need to scope out more places to watch so if anyone could help thanks alot. anyone know? anyone?....anyone....? bueller??...bueller???