boatshare.co.uk

boatshare.co.uk - a totally free to use web site for all those interested in saving money by sharing boats. Got a question or a view? Get posting!!

NOTE: - Look RIGHT, this message board may well have TWO scroll bars on your screen - use BOTH!!

boatshare.co.uk
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Licence Changes

Within the next few days British Waterways will, no doubt, publish new terms and conditions to reflect the outcome of its latest consultation. In other words, it will implement its "above inflation" licence fee increases.

As one of the results of a complaint I made concerning the previous licence consultation, British Waterways have committed to change its terms and conditions to actually reflect its policy when its terms and conditions are reprinted (and they have to be to reflect price increases).

As such, what should happen, is section 2 of the Fees and Conditions documents is updated to replace the guidance given on Waterscape under the heading "Choosing the right type of licence".

Back in January, just before Challenger went into receivership, I emailed Simon Salem (the BW director responsible for both licence consultations) pointing out that of an of an estimated 300 shared boats (split equally between "managed" and "private") only 10% had been licenced at the business rate.

Furthermore, of the 31 boats licenced at the business rate 27 would qualify for private licences should Challenger go into liquidation.

I suggested to Mr Salem that as British Waterways is not gaining any significant revenue by its policy that they should simply scrap it.

We will know shortly!

Regards

Allan

Re: Licence Changes

British Waterways have now published its 2008 Fees and Conditions on waterscape.com (click on "boat licencing" then "Pleasure boat (England & Wales) fees & conditions 2008".

If you click on the link you will find that BW have only publish the part of the document that covers its fees rather than the full document which gives conditions as well (for what the full document should look like have a look at the 2007 version).

This may be a genuine mistake on BW's part. On the other hand it may be an attempt to avoid a commitment made by British Waterways to change its licence conditions to reflect its policy.

Regards

Allan