boatshare.co.uk

boatshare.co.uk - a totally free to use web site for all those interested in saving money by sharing boats. Got a question or a view? Get posting!!

NOTE: - Look RIGHT, this message board may well have TWO scroll bars on your screen - use BOTH!!

boatshare.co.uk
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Font size

Having followed Philip's instructions, I have now got a brand-new icon on my desktop and easy access to ready-sorted messages on the BoatShare board. All I need now is a magnifying glass!!

Is there any way to change the font size. Clicking on View/Font size suggests that I am already displaying text at its largest size on this forum. Is there anything that can be done to enlarge it?

Re: Font size

Is this big enough?????

Does your mouse have a scroll wheel ?

If so some browsers include a shortcut for users with a scrolling mouse. By holding down the control key on the keyboard and simultaneously rolling the mouse scroll wheel up or down, the font size will contract or grow.

There's a couple of sites I visit where text either appears so small you'd need a scanning electron microscope to read it, or so large, it could be read from space !

hope this helps

Re: Re: Font size

Philip asked:
> Is this big enough?????

Much better - thank you, Philip.

I've got to say though that I don't think the readability is helped by the marble-type background.

> Does your mouse have a scroll wheel ?
>
> If so some browsers include a shortcut for users
> with a scrolling mouse. By holding down the control
> key on the keyboard and simultaneously rolling the
> mouse scroll wheel up or down, the font size will
> contract or grow.

I'd already tried that. It doesn't work on this site.

Thanks Phillip - I was beginning to think it was my eyes!

Howard Anguish

Now in BOLD!!!

Re: Re: Re: Font size

Ctrl-mousetwiddle is fine here in Firefox
- has to be the bottom-LEFT Ctrl-key though. It's a browser-defined thing - has same effect as menus in Firefox:
View - TextSize - Increase
or Ctrl+ for bigger Ctrl- for smaller

Ctrl-mousetwiddle doesn't have any effect in Explorer v6. Here's a guess - I haven't downloaded the beta of Explorer v7 but as this now does Tabs, I expect it will come with changing the text size.

And when I was using Explorerv7 on a differnt machine, I think I managed to avoid the marbelled effect, too, which I agree makes the whole thing hard to read.

Thanks Philip, the bold certainly does help.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Font size

...and it's much easier to read if you get close to the screen!

Hi Bob

It does not work because this site uses cascading style sheets, in the main, to specify font size in pixels - that is the number of dots on the screen.

Some other sites "Font Size" values 1 - 7 or "Font Size" relative values (e.g. +1 means slightly larger than the last font size displayed) and these can be altered using "Ctrl + mouse wheel" in Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Just to make it even more awkward some sites use a mixture of the above and this is one of them. If you know a bit of HTML you can do various things inside your message and changing font size is one of them.

Regards

Allan

Hi Bob,

If you want to lose your marbles(!) try the following (for fairly modern versions of Internet Explorer):-

On the menu click on tools
On the drop down menu click on Internet Options
Click on the General tab
Click on the Accessibility button
Check the box entitled
"Ignore colors specified on Web pages"
Click on OK to close the box
Click on Apply
Click on OK to close the box

A lot easier to do than to give instructions for!

However (and it is a big however!) this will get rid of most backgrounds and colors until you change it back again.

But at least you can do it!

You can also try changing other things via the fonts and colors buttons on the same screen as the accessibility button.

Another thing you might want to try is to switch your screen into high contrast mode (XP only).

This is set up as follows:-

Double click the Accessability Options icon on the control panel. (If you can't see the icon you may have to install the option from your install disk first)
Click on the Display tab.
Check the "use high contrast" box.
Click on Settings button.
Note the hotkey combination.
Check the Use Shortcut Box.
Chose a contrast scheme from the drop down box. (I would suggest "High Contrast White" but you can try them out)

Click OK, Apply, OK to get back out.

You can then simply use the hotkey combination when you are having problems reading a screen.

Hope this helps

Regards

Allan

ps I think this is a case of the deaf leading the blind!