boatshare.co.uk

boatshare.co.uk - a totally free to use web site for all those interested in saving money by sharing boats. Got a question or a view? Get posting!!

NOTE: - Look RIGHT, this message board may well have TWO scroll bars on your screen - use BOTH!!

boatshare.co.uk
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: An Open Letter to Alan Richards

This is about freedom of speech (or in this case posting), but it is also about required monitoring and moderation.

We live in an age were freedom of speech is luckily available (at least in our corner of the world), and this is one of the highest prizes to keep fighting for. So is Alan Richards threatening it?

Not really, he isn't. He has taken over the board to keep it open in the first place. This should be applauded by all. He now has a burden he probably did not want because providing a platform bringss also at least a moral if not legal responsibility.

There are wild accusations flying about. I am glad to say that amongst the thousands of postings they are a small minority, but they are disruptive and in many cases insulting to others. Which is something not included in the right to freedom of speech.

May be he is not dong it perfectly, but he was the one who stepped into a breach. And I did not nor do see the long queue of others wanting to do the same.

So while there is ample room for disagreement with Alan or about his actions, it should not be about is actions on the board. He kept our version of Hyde Par corner going, and if at times he asks someone to step down from his box it may not always be the right decision, but this is to be expected.

As for this board here - well, I had always hoped that there would be room for two boards, and whle there is room, one of the rooms is sadly unpopulated. May be we see a bit more general traffic here now?