Return to Website

Bipolarconnection Chit Chat

Welcome to Bipolarconnection Message Board. Moderator for this board is: Raveven any questions or concerns Please feel free to e-mail Raeven at MistRaeven@aol.com

Bipolarconnection Chit Chat
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
adoption

I have a question. My husband and I are going to be adopting a baby and we have just found out the mother was bipolar and was on meds. Key word here is was......Is she still bipolar and what effect could it have on the baby? She has not been on meds while she has been pregnant. I just need to know what to prepare for. Thank you.

Re: adoption

Hi there!

I'm so glad you wrote to us! I'm sorry for this message being late. My fibromyalgia and lupus flared up big time and I haven't been on the computer for days. Many Congrats that you're adopting a baby. It must be such an exciting time, though I've heard there's SO much red tape to get through the process. I don't see any reason for you to worry about the mother. I had bipolar and lupus when I was pregnant 18 years ago, and they took me off most of my meds, and though the pregnancy was rough for me, I had a healthy 9 lb baby that's been healthy. The Mom I would think still has bipolar, and is on meds and stable like me, or she's working on getting the meds right. The only possible problem I see is there might be predisposition where the child could "get" bipolar. I'm not sure of this, but my daughter also has it. With the proper meds, and catching it in time to have the right meds, it is something tha can be handled Certainly better than 20 year ago. They are finding so many new meds and as long as you read up on some articles you'll be able to spot things before most parents. That's IF the child would ever even get it. It would be a bit of a rollercoaster, but can be handled and is not the end of a person's life that they get it. Many articles and poems written are where someone is really desperate, and depressed, and meds aren't working and they are trying them out. So if you do read the articles, take it with the idea that I did when I was told I had lupus and had 5 years to live according to the articles. I'm now 41 and that was when I was 23. I didn't freak out. And found a great Dr. and all is well, except periodly with the lupus. But I'm here, had a successful career teaching and had a wonderful child. So much happens every year in the fields of my illnesses and bipolar. Again, I'm very happy for you, and write me again, or E-mail me at MistRaeven@aol.com if you have other concerns. Take care,

Raeven

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a question. My husband and I are going to be adopting a baby and we have just found out the mother was bipolar and was on meds. Key word here is was......Is she still bipolar and what effect could it have on the baby? She has not been on meds while she has been pregnant. I just need to know what to prepare for. Thank you.

Re: adoption

From my understanding, I have Bipolar, the child does not inherit this disorder like a disease. The child may not even have problems with this ever. The medications taken during pregnancy are another issue. What was she taking and how much? Was this also done during the first tri-mester? These answers will help you.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to: