Return to Website

Bipolarconnection Chit Chat

Welcome to Bipolarconnection Message Board. Moderator for this board is: Raveven any questions or concerns Please feel free to e-mail Raeven at MistRaeven@aol.com

Bipolarconnection Chit Chat
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Baby blues

Dear Heather,

I'm glad you wrote on our board. Welcome! I don't think I have a lot of info. for you and hope some of our readers will help. All I can say is that from my experience, after I had my daughter, I was very depressed because of possiblbly my bipolar, possibly post partum blues, and situational depression. I had lupus (still do) and I got it into my head that having a sick Mom would be bad for my daughter and she'd be better off without me. I tried a lame suicidal attempt. I think in my case it was a combination of my illness, the hormones going nuts, and situational depression that anyone might feel in my shoes.

In your case. being possibly a combo of those 3, I'd add the Klonipin to the list. I'm on it 3X a day, and it makes me less anxious and chills my mania, but also makes me tired and a bit depressed. So if you have a combo of 4 possible things that cause depression, and you haven't been able to find the right meds for your bipolar, it seems like of course you're going to be depressed. It's so difficult the first few months already when you have a baby and hormones are off and there's so much to do. Then on top of it if you have depression it's terrible. I feel badly for you. Most of your friends and relatives may not understand why you're not jumping around in joy, which, at least I, felt guilty about because I listened to them and not really on how I felt and why it was OK to feel the way I did. I'd suggest getting appointments with your psychiatrist and OB/GYN and telling them how severe it is. They hear Mom's say they are depressed a lot. Explain that this is more severe and you need help badly, and quickly. With bipolar it's NOT just 'a little case of the blues' and the Dr.s need to know that even though it's hard to be assertive or even a bit pushy if you have to when you are depressed. I'd see if someone can babysit when you go to the Dr.'s so you can fully concentrate on what the conversation is about- YOU! It helps me to write a list for the Dr. of how I've felt and different examples because it's hard to remember everything when you are there. I know you've done the medicine carosel, and I feel for you since I did, and my daughter (now 1 is on the same carosel. Have you tried Paxil with Lamictal? Lamictal isn't usually used for bipolar but I had an excellent Dr. who put me on it with Paxil and it was finally the ticket. I wish you the best, and feel free to write on the board here or to me directly at MistRaeven@aol.com

Peace, love, and joy,

Raeven

Re: Baby blues

Hello Heather, I am bipolar and am currently working with my doctor to get pregnant safely. How did you get through yours? Did you take any meds during? I am on Buspar a new med, but all it does is keep my anxiety at bay, it hasn't really helped. I also take compazine when Iam really anxious. Have you heard or tried any of theses meds?

Hang in there! Everything will pass in time. Prayer helps alot too!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am bipolar & have been thru the medicine carasol. I have recently given birth to my 3rd child and am going thru a horrible depression.None of the meds they have given me before work, I am considered a paradox. I manage with klonopin. I am trying to cope but it would help to know if I am dealing with my usual bipolar or postpartum depression. I have never sufferd from postpartum so I don't know. Any input would be helpful. Thanks heather