Return to Website

Bipolarconnection Chit Chat

Welcome to Bipolarconnection Message Board. Moderator for this board is: Raveven any questions or concerns Please feel free to e-mail Raeven at MistRaeven@aol.com

Bipolarconnection Chit Chat
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bipolar and Pregnant

Hi There!

I'm so happy you used our board! Welcome!

I've gotten a number of family members who have written to me, and I'll tell you what I'd want if I were in your sister's shoes, knowing full well that it's VERY hard to know what to do on your side of things. My 17 year old daughter has bipolar, and even though I have it, and know what it's like, it's hard for me to understand her actions at times and know what to do.

First, even though the whole family is worried, I'd suggest the one she trusts the most to casually see if she could have some coffee or tea with you. She's going nuts chemically already with her stopping the Lamictal, and the chemical changes of pregnancy, and with both of those I can see why she is in bad shape, so keep every thing low key. She may be expecting to be yelled at or have a big confrontation so keep the small talk going and when it feels right, simply tell her you are worried since she doesn't seem to be herself lately, and ask if there's anything she wants to talk about. Hopefully she will confide all her conflicting emotions, and if she is in a manic state she may be pretty wired up. Ask what her psychiatrist says about stopping her meds since you know stopping some meds without weaning down can cause many health risks to her. Try to find out if her OB/GYN knows she has stopped this medication. When I was pregnant in '85 they left me on some meds and took others out or reduced the quantity. You have a right to be very worried since the bipolar unattended can go in so many different ways. If the state she's in is at a real low, to her, getting rid of the baby in her mind would be the only way to restore hers. If she is not seeing either of the doctors listed above try to calmly stress to her that you are worried and as a favor to you would she consider seeing the psychiatrist or OB/GYN doctor. Let her know that her family trusts her decisions whatever they may be, but after she gets her bipolar back under control. You may also want to look at other bipolar sites and find one that has an area describing pregnancy and how other bipolar women have handled it. The worst thing would be if she were feeling attacked and would shut down and not listen to you. You may even suggest that you were worried and found our site and that Raeven who runs it is bipolar and has had some pretty big up's and downs over the years and is VERY concerned about her. Maybe she could E-mail me just to chat. The board is not very busy, and when I get notes like yours and never hear back, I do really worry and wonder how things are going and what is happening. I hope some of this helps. If it does, or doesn't, please give me a quick E-mail just to let me know. I'm sure you are very busy, but if you find the time, drop me a line. And maybe we'll get lucky and your sister may write.

Love, peace, and joy,

Raeven (and best of luck with this terrible situation.) You may, if the timing feels right, ask her if she feels she needs to go in the hospital (psyche ward) so the experts could get her back on track. My daughter has had to go in 6 times, and it's rough, but she'd be doing a brave thing to trully help herself in all areas of her life.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am on this board because my sister was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder four years ago and has been on lamictal. It has worked amazingly well. 8 weeks ago, she found out that she was pregnant and went off her medication. She has left her husband, wants to abort the baby (which is against her normal view . . . very pro-life), and really just crashed. I was wondering if anyone knows what we can do to help her. We are frantic to do anything to help. Any advice will help. Thanks.

Baby

I am bipolar and was so scared to have a baby and did have an aborption. I feel really bad that I did that, but at that time it was the only thing I felt I could do. If she feels that way, I guess you will have to let her do what she needs to do. I still struggle with my decision, but I was so up and down at the time that was the only thing I could do. I talked to no one about it and did it all by myself. But, maybe if I could have talked to someone it would have been different. Just let her know that you love her no matter what and things will work out. Write me back if you want. I know it's a tough decision, but when you have bipolar no one can tell you what to do as your moods jump from one thing to another.

Replying to:

I am on this board because my sister was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder four years ago and has been on lamictal. It has worked amazingly well. 8 weeks ago, she found out that she was pregnant and went off her medication. She has left her husband, wants to abort the baby (which is against her normal view . . . very pro-life), and really just crashed. I was wondering if anyone knows what we can do to help her. We are frantic to do anything to help. Any advice will help. Thanks.

Re: Baby

Hi there!

I just wanted to thank you for your input and openess about a rough subject. I didn't know if people were reading the board! It helps so much because I'm only going on my own life experiences and you could have helped make a big difference that I couldn't. I hope you'll post again.

Love, joy, and peace,

Raeven

Re: Bipolar and Pregnant

Your sister needs to get to a Dr fast!!! Only a doctor and her OBGYN can really help. Bipolar is not easy to deal with by yourself. I am sure that when she gets back on meds, she will feel and think alot differently. My prayers are with you and her as well as the baby!

Replying to: