W.C.G.B.A & Cunliffe Arms Bowling Club Message Boards

Welcome to the W.C.G.B.A. & Cunliffe Arms Forum.

Feel free to post a message.

Cunliffe Arms Bowling Club Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PHOTOS

MAL
YOU HAD SOME OLD PHOTOS ON YOUR WEBSITE A WHILE BACK, THE HALLIWELLS ETC.. THEY SEEM TO HAVE GONE OR AM I LOOKING IN THE WROMG AREA
REGARDS
GERAINT
P/S TOP SITE!! YOU SHOULD POST A LINK ON THE NORTH WALES MESSAGE BOARD TO GET MORE INTEREST/ENTRIES, HAVE YOU ASKED LUCKOCK TO PUT THE WEB ADDRESS IN THIS SEASONS WREXHAM FIXTURE BOOK?

Re: PHOTOS

The photos are still there on the second page under cunliffe photo gallery.
I haven,t deleted anything you put on the Guest book or the message board, just amended a statement you made, take a look
Dunno about putting a link on the north wales site directly to this message board, if I could.
But there is a link in the clubs section to this site.
Yes it would be a good idea to get it put in the fixture book, will ask Lucock..
Thanks for the feedback.
See ya during the season, (to cold for me that ifton league )
Mal

Re: PHOTOS //Bobby Richards, Alun Owens and Mervyn Jones

By the way Ger. there is also a picture in the looking back pictures and cuttings, of Bobby Richards, Alun Owens and Mervyn Jones when selected to play for Wales in 1983

found them! Mervyn Jones stopped playing for Rhos the season before I started, I remember Jeff Johnson playing, I think he represented Wales as well, I was wondering and was going to ask Owens and Ger Evans to compile a list of Rhos players who have represented Wales down the years, I know Gwilym Mears did (he passed away a few weeks back) and Edryd Bowyer also, I think Eddie Cole did as well, do you know any off the top of your head Mal? was thinking of doing a similar site for Rhos but we have the most imnportant meeting in our clubs history on Wednesday but its looking like Rhos bowling club will be no more as some narrow minded community councillors want the bowling club to shut! sad times, in one of the lockers in Rhos there are old photos, paper snippets going back 30 years + if you want to look at any of them and find use for them on your site, lmk
regards
Geraint

Sorry to hear about Rhos Bowling Club, if it were to happen it would be a tragic loss to Bowls in Wrexham and Wales for such an Historic club like Rhos to end.

Rhos players that played for Wales that I remember,(or pretty sure they played for Wales)

Tom Dodd,(got 19 against him at Rhos when I was a young lad and got clapped off the green by some of the old stalwarts that used to watch Rhos from the side of the green in those days !)
Jim Roberts,(corner bowler)
Don Hughes,
Geraint Dodd,
I think Elfyd Davies played maybe once.
Some more will come to me eventually...

Elfed did play for Wales probably only father and son (Gerwyn) to play for Wales from Rhos can you think of any others?
others to play for Wales from Rhos that I deffo know of:-

TONY ROBERTS
GWYN JONES
GERAINT DODD

REMEMBER PLAYING IN THE B TEAM WITH JIM ROBERTS, HE ALWAYS USED TO WEAR A JACKET WHATEVER THE WEATHER, SOME HAVE SAID HE IS THE BEST CORNER BOWLER THE WREXHAM AREA HAS EVER PRODUCED? BUT ONLY PLAYED WITH HIM WHEN I WAS 14 FOR MY 1ST SEASON BEFORE HE PASSED AWAY

With regards to Jim Roberts he was the only player I have ever known and played against who if you drew him there was only one place you were going, more so than Rocky or Hallet or any other players who are playng now, and yes I wouldn,t argue he was very good on corner marks.
Although like all decent bowlers he could still bowl shorter marks, he just wouldn,t throw the jack out for 21 yards or if he did it was only to get back to the corner.

I think I played him 3 times won 1 lost 2

BRIAN JONES (LITTLE BRIAN) PLAYED AS WELL MAL

Yes Brian Jones..
Got to tell you a tale about Brian.. I played him in the final of the Cunliffe Open Singles, we had both played well all day,and we were both playing more or less the same length 25 Yards or so, and I think it was pretty well a full entry because it was very late and getting dark in the final, anyway he beat me.

In the bar after Brian said to me if you had taken me just another 5 yards I don,t think I would have scored, I laughed thinking he was joking, but then he said no seriously because of his eyes in that light he told me he couldn,t see any further than 25 yards Ahgggg !!

Re: Welsh Merit

Roland Hughes and Don Hughes are the only father and son to win The Welsh Merit.