Talk Of The Town
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Satellite TV feed would be good for national exposure of our city

It's nice to see a familiar face getting back to his roots and reporting the news happening around the City of Timmins and it's surrounding area as they should be reported.

Given that a very large number of Timmins and area residents are now depending on satellite (ie: Bell Express-Vu, StarChoice) for television, what would be even nicer is to see Kevin back on a Timmins satellite TV station instead of what we currently have, MCTV based out of Sudbury. With MCTV news based out of Sudbury, we are losing touch with what is really happening in Timmins, when this city is currently experiencing an economic boom. The Timmins news currently being reported on MCTV Sudbury is very limited and TV advertising from businesses from the city of Timmins on this MCTV sattelite station is almost nil.

Our household is subscribed to StarChoice and we currently have no choice but to listen to MCTV news out of Sudbury if we want a small glimpse of happening news around Timmins. We do realize that we could go back to Personna and get Channel 3 News, but the consensus in our family was that the Movie Network was more beneficial instead of renting videos when we wanted to view movies.

Conrad Lavigne had worked hard in establishing a TV station in Timmins. Now we have none. I have a friend who resides in Lloydminster, Alberta, a city comparable to the size of Timmins situated on the Sakatchewan /Alberta border. Lloydminster has a CTV and CBC feed on the StarChoice satellite. Wouldn't it be good for Timmins to also get a CTV or CBC feed on satellite TV for national exposure of our city that is currently experiencing growth.

We enjoy your new site Mr. Vincent as it does get Timmins out there to the world. But, it would be even nicer to see someone invest in a satellite TV feed from Timmins and to see a familiar face like your's on a satellite TV channel from Timmins with either a CTV, CBC or even Global TV feed.

Just an opinion. Until then, we will keep checking your mytimminstoday.com site, to keep us up to date and we Thank you for that.

Re: Satellite TV feed would be good for national exposure of our city

I have to be honest (it's a habit of mine). I think Lydia and Corinna do a great job at Channel 3 News when it comes to local television coverage. Their combined experience in the market is extensive and everyone seems to enjoy what they do - which is report local news. The loss of the local MCTV news desk (anchored out of Timmins) was not unexpected. Timmins is not unique that way. Look at every media sector and you'll see the same phenomenon - radio, television, newspapers - it's all about convergence and large corporations centralizing the decision-making process - particularly when it comes to staffing - and the first thing to go is the news department. Having said all that, I can't promise satelite tv coverage - but there might be something close at MyTimminsToday.com - stay tuned.

KV