General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NH SPEED STATS

I thought I would open a new thread as Dylan has requested information to be provided. I would certainly would like this info as I wager on NH as well. However I only use previous horse form in a very simplistic way to pick my selections which works pretty well. Hopwever I'm always loooking for an extra edge.

The figures produced by Topspeed in RP, how do they compile it? Does anyone know or is it just fudged?

Re: NH SPEED STATS

VC......As far as I understand it they have a STANDARD TIME for each race...and then compare the race in question with these times and readjust the SPEED FIGURE that way.I am sure its a lot more complicated than that.Every now and then a small EXPLANATION BOX appears in the RACING POST that shows how they compile the figures.The reason I remember was that about a week ago there was a piece in the paper that said they now take note of the DIRECTION/SPEED of the WIND on the day.

I have started to research the use of TS speed figures in NH racing to see if anything there can be developed as a system. I have no access to any other speed figures for Nh so they will have to do for now.

I've become a strong believer in the use of speed data and feel you can build stand alone systems without reference to anything else (the usual jockey/sire/trainer form etc....). The speed data should speak for itself and especially when used in collateral analysis with the rest of the field. Of course in flat we have to consider the draw of the current race and also the jockey on top will be a factor. However iosn't trainer/sire form inherent in the performance over the last 3 runs?

VC.......As I have said somewhere else on this site........lots of people who use TS figures only use the LTO figure it it was STANDARD/FASTER THAN STANDARD time for the race........Do not know if you can filter that?

I did start looking at when Topspeed made a selection in the selection box and I had it as top rated, quite a few came in but I haven't been checking lately and I don't know what his criteria is for making a selection, well clear on his ratings? Best last time out? He doesn't pick one for every race.

This was on flat racing too of course.

Ian

As usual the important considerations are consistency (ie over last 3 runs - same, improving) and are the figures (whatever criteria are used) much better than the rest of the field previously or even all recent runs.

If you have those 2 elements (consistency + collaterally top) and the price is not some crazy odds-on, then you have the makings of a reasonable selection which should go close and why shouldn't it?

IAN.......TOPSPEED........You can check the performance of their ratings if you go into the RACING POST website and find TIPSTER ANALYSIS......It shows which races they do good/bad at.Trouble is that its more bad than good these days........Note the RACING POST do not put TOPSPEED in their NAPS/TIPS tables anymore......too embarred by the results. ....You will have a proud smile on your face when you compare your results.