Return to Website

Four Hills Ranch Forum

Where the stars shine like diamonds in the sky!

A meeting place for neighbors. 
Feel free to post a message or start a new topic!

Choose your own format (board style or threaded style) for viewing this forum...

Four Hills Ranch Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WINTER ARRIVES

well, WELCOME WINTER!
i was frozen inside the house this morning. Had to wait for the sun...then to get the driftsshaved down so they wouldn't fall inside! The wind was so fierce I couldn't stay out even under all those clothes - think I need a ski mask, but eyes water so badly, i still couldn't see! Animals stayed in last night. I finally got internet that went out yesterday.
I40 is still closed rte 93 to ashfork.
Anyone coming in bring me a loaf of bread??? HA I will trade you in cookies? I am not baking bread! I just want to hold in the peanutbutter and jelly!

Re: WINTER ARRIVES

Hello Nancy!
Thanks for your posts! We watch and eagerly wait for any new posts here about life in our future home! I keep an eye also on local newspapers for any news, and read about the storm.
We would love ANY more info about how things are there after a storm like this. How much snow did you get? How long will it stick around? Are you able to use the meltwater at all?......SO MANY questions! LOL!
As I said we look forward and hope that we will be living full time @ 4 hills in 2-3 years but in the meantime we an only wait ( and work ... constantly )
Is it possible to post any pictures? -- Sorry to ask so much of you!...and thanks!
If we were there WE would help with the welcome tree!
Happy Holidays to you and Best wishes!
Dan

**** NOTICE ****
Nancy - thanks for your descriptive comments about the storm/snow. I'm sure you had some better adjectives to describe it, but they probably aren't printable - they'd get "bleeped" out...

As everyone living on 4HR knows, the roads are currently impassable. Hopefully the arterial roads will be cleared today and tomorrow by Tim Baker with a road grader. He attempted to do it yesterday, but experienced mechanical difficulties. My understanding from Sherrian is that the snow depth is about 16 inches, with drifts much more than that (I live in Phoenix, so can't see any snow out my window). It has also been cold (5 degrees this morning), so very little melting is going on.

I would suggest anyone planning to visit their property in the next few weeks get some updated information on the roads in 4HR prior to making the trip. If not snow covered, they may be very muddy or icy...

Well, I live nearly atop a small hill that overlooks the flats of land between Flag to Williams to Aubry CLiffs. I get MAJOR winds and lost the roof to my porch last year! It sailed over the house and broke in half and sailed another 500 feet east! I got the neighbors to help put it back on but it is a bit dinged. We left a 4-5 inch "hole" between the two pieces and I am still with a porch. This fall winds hit 75mph. ... a cautionary tale!

So Snow was about 20 inches with some drifts much much higher than my stockyard boots! I tried to walk but fell over enough to make it a drag. I couldn't steady myself. THe drifts in the driveway are still there from the original snow!

Roads here are SOOO much better. My personal entry is not so good. I spread a 3 wire bale of straw over the bad curve which catches the wet from 3 hills. I need more though. It will need some special attention eventually. I can't imagine any help from much but making a drainage ditch down to Pit Tank below me. The cows were sold off this fall as there was no water and no real food. There are only a few left. They had a convention at the curve of Log Cabin at the base of the hill. - I need new shocks! (and back teeth)

I Do have a catch system and it usually gets me through a year easily but there was NO water this year and I had to order water twice. Of course, it snowed the next day. I buy drinking water but this is rainwater for showers, laundry etc. Great!

We got another 8 inches here last night and today. It is melting dafe but tonight will be about zero so the ice will be easy to drive on in the morning. I am pretty much hunkered down though with the dog and cats. I have coffee, cocoa and tea if anyone gets stuck! Even fresh cookies!