Return to Website

Four Hills Ranch Forum

Where the stars shine like diamonds in the sky!

A meeting place for neighbors. 
Feel free to post a message or start a new topic!

Choose your own format (board style or threaded style) for viewing this forum...

Four Hills Ranch Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coming Soon: Poacher Season (No Limit)

I found this helpful posting at The Poacher Chronicles
www.poacherchronicles.com

OPERATION GAME THIEF is a public awareness program that allows people to call a toll free hotline, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to report wildlife violations. Poaching is serious business in Arizona. There are only 156 commissioned officers in the Arizona Game and Fish Department and many of these officers only do enforcement part-time. The Department relies on the honest citizens of the State to assist in the reduction of wildlife violations.

POACHERS are thieves, and they are stealing from the citizens of Arizona. They are jeopardizing the future of wildlife resources in this state. This adversely effects everyone, not only residents, but those that come to Arizona to hunt and fish or simply enjoy the beauty that this State has to offer.

CALLERS will be kept CONFIDENTIAL if they so desire. This program began in 1979 and is the second oldest in the country providing a long record of proven credibility. Last year almost 720 calls were received on the hotline that resulted in cases being forwarded to officers.

CELLULAR PHONE calls to the OGT hotline have proven to be extremely beneficial. An officer's chances of apprehending the violator while he is still in the woods is greatly enhanced when the offense is reported immediately. Most calls to the Operation Game Thief hotline are now TOLL-FREE. If your service is provided by either Verizon or Alltel, simply dial # HUNT and you will be connected to the hotline.

THE HOTLINE has long tentacles. A caller may place a toll-free call not only within Arizona's boundary, but also from its border states, including Utah, New Mexico, Nevada and the southern half of California.

REWARDS are offered in certain cases, from $50-$1,000, for information leading to the arrest of wildlife violators. Many states require a conviction before a reward can be offered. Not so in Arizona. If the information provided is enough to warrant a citation or physical arrest, rewards will be paid immediately. If desired, the reward will be offered confidentially. Funding for rewards comes from fines and civil penalties assessed to the poachers. In essence, the bad guys are paying the good guys for the crimes they commit.

OPERATION GAME THIEF
1-800-352-0700
24 HOURS A DAY[/b]

http://www.azgfd.gov/ogt.shtml
Phoenix Az 85086

Hotline 1-800-352-0700
Direct line 623-236-7309

Need some extra cash this Fall, folks? Turn in your local scumbag poacher for a nice chunk o' change.

Re: Coming Soon: Poacher Season (No Limit)

AND they are out again! Josh said he counted 29 cars on Espee yesterday afternoon as he returned from Wms.
I see several every day I go out - which is twice a week at most.
Kinda makes you want to go: Hmmmmmm

Over the weekend one of our owners bumped into a crossbow hunter who claimed to be tracking a wounded antelope on 4 Hills.

Apparently, these hunters aren't getting the PRIVATE PROPERTY message--or they just don't care.

I expect to be sitting at the Espee Road entrance bright and early this coming Friday (Sept. 4th) for the start of antelope/rifle hunt season. I'll be the unofficial "4 Hills welcoming committee". I will have my video camera for documenting vehicle tags & their drivers. My Russian friend will be riding along (just in case).

Glad to know, current plan is to be at my property to do some work. Will keep an eye out for those not belonging, and yes I will have my .45 typewriter and camera.

Sweeeeet!

Whaddayou drive?

I'll be in either the metallic beige 2000 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton or the 2000 black Subaru Forester.

Me: wild-eyed middle-aged dude with either a red or camo baseball cap. [Unless I get my hair cut before Friday--then spiky short hair ]

I drive a 2006 Blue Dodge truck.
My property is at the upper end of the area.

Opening Day Report:
Nada! Got on post ~0600. Only saw one vehicle driving past--not a hunter. I DID get some great video of a cow elk and her calf loitering near me after hearing a bull elk bugling from somewhere nearby. I also got some decent video of a doe antelope and her calf on the way home.

Due to the rain this morning, I only heard one hunting party on the walkie-talkie.

On a related note, I found this interesting article in the AZ Daily Star today:
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/metro/307765.php

"Wounding of large bull elk a violation of AZ game law
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

FLAGSTAFF — The Arizona Game and Fish Department is asking for the public's help in determining who wounded a large bull elk late last month near Tusayan.

The animal was wounded with a bow and arrow during the weekend of Aug. 21 and authorities believe the shooting likely occurred during the opening of the archery deer season.

Game and Fish officials say the wounding of the elk is a game law violation since the legal archery elk season doesn't begin until mid-September.
Department officials were contacted after the wounded elk recently appeared in the front yard of a Tusayan home.

A biologist was able to tranquilize the animal and remove the arrow embedded in its rump area before the elk ran off.

Game and Fish officials believe the elk was wounded near Tusayan in Game Management Unit 9 and then wandered into town."

Idiot.

Is there any way we can get a list of all hunters names for this unit we are in, unit 11 I believe from the Arizona fish and game? It is freedom of information.
If armed with a list of legit hunter names we can then ask to see a driver license if they're on private property. I think we should all complain to the Az fish and game if they can't seem to keep their hunters on state land.
Or we could call fish and game EVERYTIME we see someone on private land, this will surely get there attention and maybe do something, as they must respond, as well as an 'unidentified ARMED man on private property' to the sheriffs dept.
-Joe

If the hunter is legal he or she is supposed to log in at the board located near Espee Rd. or one of the others, I have noticed two on Espee Rd., this will get the names but require a daily check of who registered to hunt in the area. The list should also be available from the Arizona game and fish department (public information).

Dirk,
I had no idea one could get these names of licensed hunters. This is good info from you and Joe.

Do you have any ideas on how this information would serve to help us manage the trespassing issue?

Would you send me your email address?
I have some other questions I would like to talk to you about?

Thanks,
Sherrian (Bruce's other half)...

Those who follow the rules and check in should also have a tag hanging from there mirror, the information at the check in point would let us know who is legal to hunt in the area and probably would be more cooperative in staying off private property. Those without may not be legal and the vehicle info should be given to the PD and or Fish and game.

As to those who are going to approach the hunters on our properties, remind them that there are scattered houses on the properties that can not always be seen, and they may inadvertently be in violation if they hunt here. Fines can be steep. Also please report any hunters to the fish and game if they are on our properties they can take action including restricting hunting in our area, hunters don't want another closed area.
I do hope the proper signage has been posted at the entrances to the properties stating "NO HUNTING OR TRAPPING" as from what I have been able to find on the fish & game website this is needed to enforce the trespassing laws reguarding hunters.