Return to Website

Four Hills Ranch Forum

Where the stars shine like diamonds in the sky!

A meeting place for neighbors. 
Feel free to post a message or start a new topic!

Choose your own format (board style or threaded style) for viewing this forum...

Four Hills Ranch Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Septic recommendations

Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting here but I have been reading this BB for some time now. I find it to be a valuable source of information and enjoy reading about the various topics.

We are finally planning our septic installation and I thought this would be an ideal place to ask for some advice or recommendations. Our property is located on Blanco Trail along Cataract Canyon and I suspect that a conventional system will not be an option for us.

What types of systems are other people using at the ranch and what contractors should I consider looking at? Also, any ballpark ideas on what I will be looking at cost-wise?

Thank you,
Doug Frederickson

Re: Septic recommendations

Doug,
Don't give up on a conventional septic system.
There are a few owners who were approved for a conventional system.

Getting approved depends on the excavator, designer, and county inspector.

We, unfortunately, were dealing with a corrupt excavator/septic system vendor who only sold expensive "alternative" septic systems!
Also, at the time the designer we used was looped into selling these systems to off-the-grid homeowners, so she didn't provide us with any other options either.

There are other systems to be found. When you begin the process be sure to get a second or third opinion.

Sherrian

Kind of light on information, Doug. Maybe this will help. Thad Johnson sent me this from Coconino County.

http://www.coconino.az.gov/comdev.aspx?id=147

You will find all the building regs they now use. I am getting the impression from your post that you may not be aware that the county tells you if you can use a conventional or special septic. You may want to look over their regs and even talk w/ someone there before you go any further. They may even have some recommendations for contractors.

Another thought is that if you can come to the next board meeting, you can talk w/ folks personally. Sometimes when you have something bad to say about a contractor, it's better to not put it into writing. And even if you have something good to say, you can be cautious about actual recommendations.

I believe the meeting, which is the annual meeting, is on the first weekend of June. I'm sure a lot of the people who live on the ranch will be in attendance. Hope you can make it.

Doug,

In our experience we are finding it harder and harder to get conventional systems through the County. The have really gone almost exclusively to alternative. The recommendation that you talk to several companies and get some prices for comparison is a good one. We have been through the County a number of times for our clients and have seen the trend going more and more this way.
We will be glad to give you some references in the area if you want to email us.