Return to Website

Four Hills Ranch Forum

Where the stars shine like diamonds in the sky!

A meeting place for neighbors. 
Feel free to post a message or start a new topic!

Choose your own format (board style or threaded style) for viewing this forum...

Four Hills Ranch Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trespassing Issues HMR

Just getting around to catching up on the "neighborhood" goings on and wanted to add some additional fuel to the fire. Recently HMR has had some encounters with trespassers who say they are property owners and give a lot #. They also say they didn't know they were on private land and were just running their dogs. Unfortunately no one has gotten a tag # (not as sharp as you guys) but we are keeping an eye out for an old faded yellow Toyota pickup - the small model- with three men and a couple of shepherd type dogs. They were seen "collecting" wood from lots out back. Rumor has it that there is a "ring" that scout out and take wood from properties and then sell it from their trucks without permits, etc.

If anyone out there has any further info we'd appreciate hearing from you.

BTW we have been giving out orange POA stickers to owners but they are too difficult to see - especially if its dusty. I like the idea of something really visible - of course then we have to get people to use it.

Re: Trespassing Issues HMR

Hi Linda; You know we have the green stickers, the problem is they where isssued so long ago I am sure new LOT Owners do not have them! I myself have bought 2 vehicles since then with NO stickers now on them. So I agree we need something, I have asked for 3 years why can't we put in GATES at the entrances ??? Yes it will cost a little but crime and just the idea your' " Rights " have been violated!!!! Bruce: you out there ??? You may think like me { The old West method } Is this legal on private land??? Hang them from their ankles until the Sherriff can get out there ??? Also how about portable cameras like " Hunters" use they work on motion . Pete Ratcliff

Maybe the " Board " can come up with some new Deacals ??? I do not like to hang things from my inside mirror but I would if it is easier to see ! Maybe bright Orange like hunters use or we could purchase magnetic signs to put on our' doors ???? Pete Ratcliff

Decals are a good idea and I have been advocating them for several years, BUT like Linda said, it is difficult to see AND what is to stop people from duplicating them and putting them on their vehicles.. I believe this is necessary to help weed out the random hits, but the "professionals" will figure out how to get around it.

later,b

If professionals star hitting the " Ranch" we are in trouble. Deterrants are only as good as the people you are trying to stop If it bored teenagers or squatters this is another issue.Hunters are another story, so the owners have to decide what steps to take. To do nothing you leave yourselves volnerble to everything from: Theft-Shooting signs/knocking them down.Possible fires,killing of cattle/Elk,Horses or family pets { horses,dogs }Tearing up of 4 Hills Roads. We can hope things will never happen or start to do something besides signs that advertise 4 Hills is now a home owner establishment My family will protect our'land but others that live faraway cannot do this

He all!
I'm glad the awareness level is up. Due to the economy (Oh no, here goes gloom-and-doom Bruce again), I haven't seen too many folks up here on the land. Now that summertime is upon us, though, the activity has increased a wee bit lately.

I wish we could all display bright decals on our vehicles, but that may be a logistical problem. I met a couple last Monday that were "legit". They had a plat map from a real estate company and were scouting out parcels for possible purchase. Nice couple, too. We just have to use our judgment and common sense. My spidey senses weren't tingling when I came upon these folks, so no harm--no foul.

Looks like the rancher boys are out and about today. There was a dude flying by our place on a quad with a rifle scabbard on the side. A horse trailer came up behind him. So . . . I slung the AK and went for a little walk. Just in case some idiot tries to test the atavistic open range law and take a shot at one of my dogs.

Anyway, I like the camera idea for the 4 Hills Ranch gates, but I think Brian S. is right. Some yahoo will just shoot it or climb up and yank it down. Need to put my thinking cap on. Over and out.

Just a little info on the gates issue. While it is not a perfect solution it does add another layer of notice to people that they are not supposed to be there.
The gate we put up on our 207 entrance was done in house. It has taken longer than we planned, but then volunteers doing it on their own time usually do take longer. However, the gate and solar opener system cost us around $3,000. We gave Sherrian a picture of it so you can see what it looks like. We will have a keypad, and owners can purchase an automatic opener from the Association if they want.
While I am not a "strong" proponent of the gating concept sometimes it is the best available solution.
It's funny, but some of our members have asked why we can't gate the main entrance as well to keep out salesmen/solicitors/etc. who seem to have trouble reading the private roads - no trespassing signs that are posted there.