Return to Website

Four Hills Ranch Forum

Where the stars shine like diamonds in the sky!

A meeting place for neighbors. 
Feel free to post a message or start a new topic!

Choose your own format (board style or threaded style) for viewing this forum...

Four Hills Ranch Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Are Conditions Like Now?

Did the area get snow and rain or mostly snow from those series of storms last week? We are thinking of taking the kids up to go sledding and it is easier if we can do this without driving back into Williams or going back to Flagstaff. We cross Cataract Canyon at the ranch house to get to my parents place and would be curious to know how much water is going through. I also see there is a chance for snow over the next couple days.

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

Brian

Re: What Are Conditions Like Now?

Brian,

So far there hasn't been a lot of water flowing in Cataract. The Lippincotts' property overlooks Cataract and they have reported there are several pools of water but no flows. Most likely we'll get a lot more water flowing through from the Grand Canyon area when the temperatures start rising.

The snow accumulation has been weird. We had about 2 feet in December but rising temperatures melted a lot of it. Then the January snowfall came in spurts of 1 to 6 inches with intermittent freezing rain which reduced the accumulated snow level. Depending on where you are there can be 1 to 4 inches of snow on the ground. But I expect a solid inch or two of snow on a south facing hill would make for some good slidin'...

Because of the rain the main roads are becoming muddy and there are a few rutted stretches on HMR and 4HR but not as bad as in previous years. The secondary roads to your property were not plowed so I don't know their condition.

Right now, 4WD and driving slowly are the best options for avoiding getting stuck . Surprisingly Cataract is not as slick as it has been in previous years - at least that was the case three days ago.

Hope you and your family have fun!

Sherrian

Re: What Are Conditions Like Now?

Thank you for the great information.