HPW FAN TALK

Welcome to the HPW Fans Line.
This is for fans of HPW to discuss topics relating to wrestling.
Remember this is an all-ages forum, so please keep all posts acceptable for all ages!

HPW FAN TALK
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
My time in the ring

One day Jerry stopped in with some pictures he had taken in Elwood, In. I asked him, “Who’s doing shows in Elwood?” He said he put it on. I told him that he should have let me know because I would have liked to seen it. Then he told me, “That’s why I came by, I’m going to do one in Columbus , because the first one had done so well.” Then he told me he could use my help in the show.

Heck I would have been happy to take out the trash, if it meant I would get in for free. I was expecting to work the door, sell concessions, or maybe even get to referee. I was completely floored when he asked me to be his ring announcer. I mean WOW! That is like the heart of the show.

I had no experience doing anything like that. I wasn’t a good public speaker. I was also a little dyslexic and would often say things backwards when I got nervous. One thing about me though is that I hate to let people down. Therefore I had to learn how to do a good job, and I had to learn quick.

I watched and listened to what other people were doing. The first thing I saw was that, just like with comedy, you have to be original, not an imitator. You can’t steal what other people are doing. You have to have your own style or you’re just a hack.

My main influences was the guy that did the “Let’s get ready to Rumble.” I liked it and it also reminded me of a friend I had that would come up behind you and say your name, starting out really slow in a real low tone and then bring up the tone as he began talking really fast and loud. It was funny seeing the look on someone’s face when he would do that to them. Jerry and I have a friend in the business. You may know him as Road-Dog or Jesse James Armstrong. He is just one of the many of big name people that Jerry has introduced me to over the years. He did a great job of announcing for himself when he would come to the ring. The main point of what he did was to get everyone‘s undivided attention.

To be honest, I knew it would be hard to compete with those guys. There was nothing I could come up with to even get close to that, let alone top it. The only course I had, in able for me to sound the least bit like a professional, was to take all of that and combine it, into what became my opening line for every HPW show I ever did.

That was how it all started. I wasn’t the best announcer in the beginning, but I always gave it my best. I strived to be the best I could be. Jerry was understanding with me as I grew into the roll.

During my time there, I even got involved in a few matches. One ended with me getting my ponytail cut off in a hair match. Another time ended with me winning control of HPW for a couple of months. That feud ended with me, Diceman and The High Rollers all getting fired at a show at the bowling alley, when we lost to Brian Christopher and Doug Gilbert.

After a short break I came back as a manager for Ox and then for Billy Ray Hickerson.

I’ve never looked back with regrets, only with fond memories. My time with HPW was one of the best times of my life.

Thank You Jerry for all the great memories!

Terry Jones