5th Battalion, 60th Infantry Association Message Board

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Looking for Someone from the 5th/60th
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jessie (JC) Cofield

My name is Steve Quesinberry and I live in Newnan, Georgia, just below Atlanta.  I just retired from the local High School in Newnan after 36 years of teaching history. I am presently teaching as an adjunct professor of history at a local college.  While at the high school I taught a class on the VN War and the 1960s that heavily involved the local community.  I became interested in the local guys that were killed in VN (23 of them!) and have been researching these guys for the past 10 years.  One of these young men was Jessie Cofield from Alpha Company, KIA 9/13/67 in Operation Coronado V.

I am looking for anyone that knew Cofield during his time in Vietnam.  I certainly understand that it is a long shot, but I have gotten lucky on some of the other guys from here and know that I will NOT find someone if I don't ask.  Even if they were involved in Operation Coronado V they might be able to shed some light on what happened to Jessie. 

As part of my research, I interviewed Jessie's sister.  She gave me all the letters that Jessie wrote home in addition to some photos that he sent home as well.  He mentioned on more than one occasion a young man with the last name RIOS.  He called him Steve or Estaban.  I even have a photo of the two of them together.  I have searched the Roster for Alpha and see one Rios but he does not have the correct year beside his name.  But there is one in the HHC with the year 1967.  I am trying to find Mr. Rios as well. I would really love to interview him about Jessie for the book that I am working on to honor these young men. 

Anything that you can do to assist me in this research would be GREATLY appreciated!