Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Billy Schulz passed away

I saw Billy a few weeks ago at the rest home. He was in great spirits and running about the place in his wheel chair.

It was visits with Billy, Bob Sprague and Fitzy at Goosebrrok Garage in Norton that gave me the idea to capture a bit of their racing history and share by creating the Norwood Arena web site. Never having built a web site I bought the software, read the manual and the site was born.

Billy's love of racing and his years of success at Norwood Arena gave him a pride that lasted a life time. A few weeks ago I gave Billy a poster print of several pictures of him racing at Norwood. We didn't have a way to hang it so Billy pulled a coat hanger out of his closet and with a few bends the picture was hung on the wall from the suspended ceiling. His face lit up as the rest home staff asked him about the pictures. He will be greatly missed. Thanks for being in our lives, champ!

William R. P. Schulz Sr., 73

NORTON - William R. P. Schulz Sr., 73, of Norton, formerly of Mansfield, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at the Golden Living Center Garden Place in Attleboro.

Born in Mansfield on Aug. 18, 1935, he was a son of the late Walter H. Sr. and Grace L. (Pike) Schulz.

Bill grew up in Mansfield and was educated in Mansfield schools; he later moved to Norton where he had made his home for the past 40 years.

Mr. Schulz was quite proud of his accomplishments as the founder and operator of Country Club Auto Body in Norton. He ran the business for 40 years until recently retiring. Bill began his auto body repair career at the former Vicino Buick in Mansfield and later worked at Rodman Ford. When not repairing cars, he was racing them. Bill's first love was for auto racing, a hobby that the Schulz family is respectfully known for. He was the proud owner and driver of cars 60, 79 and 3D, and enjoyed winning his first race at Seekonk Speedway and also racing at Norwood Arena Speedway, Thompson Speedway and other tracks along the East Coast. Bill could best be described by those who knew him as a fun loving, easygoing person.

He is survived by his devoted children: Jo-Ann M. Schulz and her companion Robert Sita of North Attleboro, Lorna J. Perry and her husband Ricky of Norton, Bonnie L. Schulz and her companion Jay D'Ambra of Mansfield, Cynthia L. Kerkhoff and her husband William of Plainville, Jennifer A. Chapman and her husband Todd of Taunton, and William R. P. Schulz Jr. of Norton. He was the brother of Rudolph "Rudy" Schulz Sr. of Foxboro, Richard Schulz Sr. of Wilder, Vt., Lillian "Sis" Titus of Mansfield and the late Walter "Sam" Schulz Jr., Frederick Schulz Sr., Herbert Schulz Sr. and Paul Schulz Sr. Mr. Schulz is also survived by 17 grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and many nieces, nephews, cousins and friends. He was the former husband of Diana Sousa and the late Janette Schulz.

Funeral services, to which relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend, will be held on Monday, April 27 at 10 a.m. at the Sherman & Jackson Funeral Home, 55 North Main St., Mansfield. Burial will follow in the Spring Brook Cemetery, Mansfield.

Visiting hours will be held on Sunday, April 26 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Sherman & Jackson Funeral Home.

For additional information, please visit www.shermanjackson.com

Re: Billy Schulz passed away

God speed compadre.

See ya in the pits.

Re: Billy Schulz passed away

i`d like to add my condolences also........i have many memories of billy and the shultz family from norwood. it`s sad to see these racers pass so soon. there was this shultz family smile that i seem to remember esp. when they snuck by you to win the feature. kinda like the cat that got the canary.....i bet billy and freddie are sharing some stories right now!