Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Local Racing Legend passes

Local racing legend passes,

Local racing legend Joe Buccilli past away this weekend, Joe was a main stay in the New England racing scene from the 50's to
the early 90's,

an expert mechanic and fabricator Joe built all style races car from cut downs to modifieds and late models, Joe's cars were successfully campaigned
through out the northeast,

Joe was also a very successful car owner with a list of drivers that are a who's who of the New England racing scene, drives such as Leo "the Lion" Cleary,
Bobby "the Frito Bandito" Santos, Eddy St Angelo, Bobby Sprague, Bobby Healey, the Schulz brothers, John Tripp, Fred Astle Sr, My Father Sam Porazzo,
and a host of other local greats along with his Son David Buccilli who in later years drove an SK and a modified with his father,

With a host of beautiful cars, the 24, 14, 3d, 16,and the 16x, always an innovator in 1966 when all modifieds had straight axle front ends, Joe was the
first to toy with the idea of independent suspension his twin I beam front end, when the modifieds left Norwood arena Joe built a late model, that was
a successful if not dominate car all around the northeast, from the 50's to the early 70's when Joe's car was at the track everyone knew it,

Joe's was the owner of Tri Auto and Buccilli race chassis, many of my childhood weekends were spent watching Joe and learning from his work, listen to stories,
from again the who's who of new england racing that would gather there, after breakfast at the Dog House or Nicks, and although at the time none of them wanted
to admit it they were all there to get his opinion and listen to his ideas,

The New England racing scene has truly lost a legend, a great mechanic, a great fabricator, and most of all a great man, he is survived by his wife, 3 children
and multiple grand children,

Re: Local Racing Legend passes

So sorry to hear. My thoughts go out to David, Diane and OLD FRIEND DONNA.