Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: question about a driver

Hi Holly,

Red is one of many drivers that I need to add to the Norwood Arena web site. Unfortunately, the web site is a hobby that comes after work and many other things that get in the way of having fun. I will move Red up the list for new driver additions.

Regards,
Don
webmaster@norwoodarena.com

Re: Re: question about a driver

Oh, thanks Don. Didnt mean to sound like I was pushing. Just that I have only recently discovered this web site and it was merely a question. As I said, its been a 1000+ years but I so remember my parents dragging me to Norwood. Actually went to Seekonk Speedway this past weekend. Guess when its in your blood, you gotta go with it. Thanks for the reply... Thanks for all your hard work!!!

Re: Re: Re: question about a driver

As far as i know red is still alive and living in florida. A customer of mine brought in a scrapbook that was kept by Reds wife it was full of pictures and many newspaper clippings. I will try to post a couple pictures that i have. Red was always a professional looking driver in those early days......

: Re: question about a driver

HEY,,,,thats great news to hear. Will peek back in now and then to see if there are any new postings. I was so little at the time, I might not even recognize him. But his name and those times are imbedded in my brain...Thanks Again Jim

Re: Red Cummings

Look forward to any future postings about Red.
He was just about everybody's favorite driver in the 50s
courtesy Vintage Northeast Modifieds
http://mysteryphoto.modifieds.net/images/12-1-06M.jpg

Re: Re: Red Cummings

Thanks Carl for the link to the nifty pic. I passed it on to my Mom who was a huge fan of his ( as well as Dad, since departed). Seems to me there was a driver with your 'last' name--- any relation?

Schulz

Any resemblance is strictly a coincidence, you know how first generation German families can be, on our side of the family jalopy racers were to be avoided and worse.
Freddy, Billy and Paul had the good looks,driving talent and money, my job was to get outta town.

btw: I think there's several photos in our Norwood 'drivers section' from the cut down era that show Red Cummings in his #53 copper painted cut down that also had a team car #51 (not sure if it wasn't Red's brother in the 51? the memory's going slowly)
here's a link to one of them:
http://www.norwoodarena.com/Cars-Drivers8/Fred_Luchesi/99_Fred_Luchesi_Turn1.html

Re: Schulz

hey is bob melnick still with us

Re: Bob Melnick

Hopefully he is ...
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/4/0/0/8/9/webimg/63697480_tp.jpg

Re: Re: Bob Melnick

Sad to say that Bob left us several years ago.

Re: Re: Re: Bob Melnick

Thats sad to hear.

Hope we can get the facts and history down before we're all gone.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Melnick

bob was awsome i think i remember a falcon or mustang colt 45 rip

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob Melnick

You guys MUST come to the 2nd. annual modified reunion at NSS on Feb. 13th... all your favorite drivers from days gone by will be there!!!! Bugsy, Leo, Ron, Bobby, George.... a long long list!
if in Florida, make the trip. its worth it.
I can be reached at carolwicks@comcast.net and 941-629-7451