Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Johnny Thompson #122 passed away

North Stonington - Malcolm R. "Johnny" Thompson, 78, of Pond Drive, formerly of Pendleton Hill Road, North Stonington, died on Monday morning, Feb. 19, 2007 at his home.
He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Patricia E. (Ellal) Thompson of North Stonington; his son, John M. Thompson, husband of Beth of North Stonington; his daughter, Darlene C. Williams, wife of Michael of Ashaway, and his daughter, Donna L. Thompson of North Stonington; five grandchildren, Jakob, Nickolas, Malcolm, Thomas and Ethan; his brother, James Thompson of Bowdoinham, Maine; and many nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his brother, George W. Thompson.
Mr. Thompson was born in North Stonington on March 9, 1928, the son of the late Malcolm E. and Arlena (Arzamarski) Thompson. He became a mechanic in the United States Army who received the World War II Victory Medal and the Korean Occupation Medal. He went on to own and operate Thompson Refrigeration Inc. of Westerly for many years, but most racing fans would remember him behind the wheel of his blue and white checkerboard special, the No. 122. Johnny drove at many racetracks throughout his career from Waterford to Thompson to Norwood, where he still holds the track record for the most wins. After retiring from racing, he spent his spare time snowmobiling, hunting and fishing. What he enjoyed the most though was the time he spent with his five grandsons.
The funeral service will take place on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2007 at 11 a.m. at Rushlow-Iacoi Funeral Home, 64 Friendship Street, Westerly. Burial will take place at a later date. Calling hours will take place at the funeral home on Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in Johnny's name can be made to the North Stonington Ambulance, Mains Crossing Road, North Stonington, CT 06359 or to a charity of one's choice

Re: Johnny Thompson #122 passed away

Sad news indeed.
Always a great competitor and gentleman.Seems like yesterday at The Track.
This life cycle stuff certainly is painful at times.
Sounds like he lived a full and meaningfull life on and off the track and I guess you can't ask for more outta life.
Condolences to his wife, family and friends.

Re: Re: Johnny Thompson #122 passed away

I didn't know Johnny in the early days but I did pit next to him at Norwood in 1966 and 1967. Both he and Slim, his mechanic, were real gentlemen and really helped this young driver in my early years in the modifieds.

I'll never forget that I was behind Johnny going into the 1st turn in a heat race one evening at Norwood. I got into the back of him and spun him out. Needless to say (since I was pitting next to him), had there been a direct exit to Rt. 1, I would have taken it rather than pulling back in next to him in the pits. Well, he accepted my appologies and the fact that he was so understanding, has kept the memory fresh in my mind for 40 years.

He was a great racer and he sure knew how to get a lot out of that small-block!

Condolences to his family.

Re: Re: Re: Johnny Thompson #122 passed away

are you the same doug mccarthy i have a photo of in the #00 at Norwood arena? i sent you an email. let me know if you got it. our racing internet radio show is celebrating Bugs Stevens, Bill Wimble, and Lew Boyd this monday night from 7-9. just click on the website above and listen in to their live interviews! i can hardly wait... call me at 941-629-7451 or email me at address above... thank you doug. ;-) i sure miss those days!!! and those people! its all changed so much. i was so sad to hear of Johnny Thompsons death ... what a great man...what a great racer.

carolwicks