Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
speedway scene newspaper

does anyone know what the story is about speedway scene? arethey going to return subscription money?

bob snyder- pondmeadows@aol.com

Re: speedway scene newspaper

Sorry to say that it looks like Speedway Scene is gone. A few people talked about trying to save the paper but being a publisher in a shrinking marketplace is difficult to make a business case for. As pointed out by many since the paper started having problems, people were turning to the internet to get their local racing news now… and for free. I doubt you will see a refund since most failed publications end in debt and in bankruptcy.

Although not ideal compared to the printed paper, the good news is that many of the local internet racing sites are starting to attract sponsor dollars that once supported papers such as Speedway Scene. This is good since the sites grow and continue to provide a local news forum. Advertisers get to reach their local client base and more people.

It may take some time for some of the local racing news sites to grow into a business. Most were started as a hobby or side project and they lack the sales talent or time to negotiate and bring in advertising dollars. I know this first hand as the Norwood Arena web site is not sponsored and is in the 5th year of operating at a loss. A few generous patrons have donated to the Norwood Arena site to help offset the annual loss and keep the site alive and growing (by the way, thanks to Mike McClelland, 1967 Hobby Division Champ for his recent 2007 Patron Donation).

I’m sorry to see Speedway Scene go. It was a great local paper and Val did a good job with it. Please help the local racing news internet sites grow to fill the void.