Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jerry Driscoll passed away

Norwood Arena driver Jerry Driscoll passed away on Dec 31, 2018. Jerry began his racing career in the Street Division at Norwood Arena.

EAST RANDOLPH, VT ” Gerald K. ‘Jerry’ ‘JD’ ‘Pop’ Driscoll passed away peacefully at home, Monday evening, December 31, 2018 surrounded by his loving family Sue Sheridan Shawn and Tina Driscoll and Brian Rogers.

Jerry was born the 29th of June 1942 the son of James Leslie Driscoll and Faye Amelia Jordan Driscoll in Monroe Maine.

He was married in 1965 to the love of his life Sandra Marie Cushman. They remained joined as one only to be separated by her death in December of 2008. Jerry and his family moved to Vermont in 1972 from Easton, MA where Jerry raced cars at Thunder Road in Catamount Speedway and late model Sportsman division. He worked as the chief mechanic at Midtown Chrysler Plymouth in Barre Vermont. Jerry went back to school and got his teaching degree and taught recreational Agriculture at the Randolph High School Vo-Tech Center until 1982. At that time Jerry retired and started working at one of his other many talents. What everyone that knows Jerry well knows is that he loved to be gardening. It seemed as if Jerry had a green thumb possibly even two.

Jerry Was a Very prominent race car driver successful and well-known and liked in many different genres of the sport. He did circle track racing, drag racing, road racing and mountain racing. While residing in Massachusetts he race Late Model stock cars at Norwood Arena and other southern New England tracks. He ended his career Mountain racing in which he was very successful He raced at Mount Washington Pikes Peak Colorado and anything big or small in between. In 2011 Jerry’s last year of racing he set the now very prominent new speed record in an open wheel Modified race car at Mount Washington in New Hampshire of 114.6 miles per hour only two days before 69th birthday. Pretty fast for an old guy.

Jerry has touched so many people’s lives over the years. There are way too many to list. Jerry was a true artist who worked with every medium including paint, wood, steel & clay. It didn’t matter he was awesome at all of them. But I think the best medium Jerry ever worked with was people. He could make you reach your potential without you really even knowing that you were trying.

Jerry is survived by his daughter Sue Ann Sheridan and her husband Bob Sheridan both of Randolph; his son Shawn Driscoll his wife Tina Driscoll of Washington Maine; his grandchildren Brian Rogers of East Randolph, Steven Rogers of Florida, Joshua Rogers of Killington, Rebecca Driscoll of Washington Maine, Kaylon Bradley Johnson of Vermont, Forrest Lamphere of Colorado Springs, CO; his great-grandchildren Mason Butterfield 6 years old & Logan Butterfield both of Washington ME, Aiden Rogers & Owen Rogers both of Killington, Aiden Bradley Johnson & Colton Bradley Johnson both of Vermont and many others of his family that are too numerous to list

There will be a celebration of life Saturday June 29th 2019 with the party starting at 4:20 p.m. at JD’s Place with a covered-dish picnic type thing. BYOB, bonfires, evening fireworks. Please wear red white and blue to celebrate JD’s final ride. Online condolences may be left at www.dayfunerals.com. Arrangements are by the Day Funeral Home.

Re: Jerry Driscoll passed away

I remember Jerry racing at Street Division at Norwood Arena. He is really a good one. It saddened me to hear about it. Like him I am also fund of racing, he his one of my inspiration. Thank you for sharing this tribute to him and informing us. But right now, I stop being a racer.. I am too old for that. I just spend my day playing with my grandchildren who constantly play dress up unique characters, play mini games, and gacha in gacha life! and roblox