Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leo Cleary passed away

It was reported that Leo Cleary passed away today, January 31, 2017. Details to follow.

Re: Leo Cleary passed away

Just got a phone call from Bruce Cohen who told me that he received word that Leo "The Lion: Cleary passed away this afternoon. Arrangements to follow. He was a good friend to me and others involved in New England racing. RIP Leo.

Re: Leo Cleary passed away - Obit

Leo V Cleary, 88 of Daytona Beach, FL, passed away peacefully on January 31, 2017 at Halifax Health Hospice Care Center.

Leo was born in Quincy, Massachusetts on December 25, 1928. He was the son of the late Leo and Mary (McIsacc) Cleary. Leo is predeceased by his wife Charlotte Harris Cleary and his daughter Charlene Brady. Leo is also predeceased by his brother Martin Cleary and sisters Mary McCall, Alice Campbell and Geraldine Cookson. Leo is survived by his children James (Linda), Patrick (Arlene), Kathy, Kevin (Kim), Richard (Cheryl) and 11 grandchildren, six great grandchildren and one great great grandchild.

Leo enjoyed his passion of many years as a race car driver in the New England and Florida modified short track circuit winning many championships.

Condolences may be shared with the family through BalwinCremation.com. In lieu of other remembrances donations may be made to Halifax Health Hospice, 3800 Woodbriar Trail, Port Orange, FL 32129. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date in Massachusetts.

Published in Daytona Beach News-Journal on Feb. 2, 2017

Re: Leo Cleary passed away

Photo courtesy R.A. Silvia.

As a child in the Norwood Arena 1950s - One of my favorite car (White over Gold with a Lion on the side) driver combinations. I recall him most often up front in every Class B race I witnessed.
My brother in-law who announced would take me to the races at Norwood once or twice a year starting when I was about 8 and was always ready to leave as soon as the final checkered fell so I never got close to any of the drivers or cars.
Several years later at 15 I was with Bart Kent and the #88 Novice for several races in the 1961 season at Norwood and was introduced to Leo in the pits - I was awestruck and a bit drunk and couldn't speak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/17192257436/in/album-72157645658540289/