Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bobby Santos

Hello, Bobby Santos was our hero from Millis. Many of us went there just to watch him race yet I can't find him listed under drivers. Why?

Re: Bobby Santos

Hi Susan,

I am in contact with Peggy Santos to see if they have photos and other materials to build Bobby's Cars & Drivers page.

Don
webmaster@norwoodarena.com

Thanks Don, I was also in touch with Peggy today. Thank so much. He was such a big deal to us when we were teens. Spent many many Sat nights at Norwood Arena, something my kids will never be able to relate to.

Just as a side note. It was always a kitchen table story around our house that when my father (Russ Tabor and his brother (Rickie Tabor) built a racecar back in 1952 for the old Bomber class that they pulled from Johnny Black's junkyard there was an underage kid who wanted to race. My father and uncle raced Westborough Friday and Norwood Saturday. They never drove themselves (although my uncle tried it once and said it, 'was crazy out there) but usually hired a blond haired kid to drive for them. This kid kept bugging to get a ride so they took him down to Seekonk and he got his first ride. His name was Bobby Santos. I remember this story from when I was growing up in the sixties.

In the seventies we watched a show on channel 25 out of Worcester called Speedway Scene. Who won the Modified race? Bobby. I used to go to Westborough in its waning days (when Gee Gee Gravel was racing) and followed his two kids in the racing papers.

One night a few years ago I came home from work and turned on the TV to catch the tail end of the Nationwide race. Watching the crawl, who's racing? Bobby Santos III. I called my father and had him turn it on. Over fifty years of racing is a legacy for any family.