Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Race classes in early 50's

Hi Jay,

I will send you an e-mail on this. I need the assistance of historians RA Silvia and Lew Boyd. I’m not sure both Norwood Arena and Westboro Speedway called the divisions by the same name. They often changed season to season.

For 1952, Norwood had the upper tier Modified Division, Sportsman Division and the Jalopy (or Ramp Racer) Division. The Jalopy Division became the Bomber Division in 1953. Over the next 20 years at Norwood the entry level division was also called the Tiger Division, the Street Division and so on.

Don
webmaster@norwoodarena.com

Re: Race classes in early 50's

A comprehensive listing of the various classes at Norwood Arena would sure make an excellent project for someone.

Reading our webmaster's Norwood Arena 'Track History' is an excellent way to start.
Some additional info regarding entry level class at Norwood Arena for 1950.
It seems that at the end of the 1950 season NEARA experimented with a new entry level class labeled 'Jalopy' for the first time at Norwood Arena and ran it on Wed Nights. Three of these races were held with minimal fan support but lots of cars and 'action', this Wed Night Jalopy Series morphed into a Sat night support class in following years.

Again from another 1950 article in ISN
1950 Season Races Norwood Arena
48 Mod Stock car Races
3 Jalopy Series races
2 Midget Races
1 Strictly Stock

Illustrated Speedway News Sep 30, 1950

"Barbeau captures jalopy inaugural at Norwood Arena"

"Red Barbeau a victor over a field of 29 in the Inaugural Jalopy Feature in this new Wed. Night Schedule."
"Heavy field of jalopy entries required four Qs and two Consis of 25 and 32 cars"
"Feature-Barbeau, Caster, Toulonen and Christensen."