Tico's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Tico's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trail guides among the club.

Trail Guiding Guidelines

Everyone likes to help, but not everyone is qualified for or knows how to guide. For this reason and against my judgement I have decided to publish this note. Please read it carefully and let me know your comments. Folks, I have thick skin and can take it, so don’t hold back by being nice. The only way we get better, is by having a clear understanding about each other. So here it goes...

There are a few of us who have developed enough skill to be a qualified trail guide. Not just in the club but elsewhere. With this in mind, we also have to recognize that only one person can direct the traffic of the group. When you have two or more people trying to direct the actions or direction of the group as where to go next, but everyone is pulling in the apposite direction, you just frustrate the rest. This is not right and further more, not tolerated. I propose these mild but correct guideline that I hope will help all of us in this matter.

1. Who ever has been designated trail guide, must accomplish several things; orientate yourself with the area, the maps, land marking and be prepared to provide directions. You should always keep a level head, not become confrontational or abusive in actions or words.

2. The designated guide, will lead you through the trail and keep in mind of everyone capabilities with their vehicle, have them walk it first if you must, so that they can see land marking or points of concerns on the trail. Point them out and tell them (the other people following you) how to over come that difficulty.

3. As the guide, take extra care not to damage your vehicle, this could in turn discourage other from going any further. Once you have successfully completed the obstacle, get out of the vehicle and assist the person following you. As that person completes the obstacle, have them return and show them how to overcome the problem, show them how to help the other driver behind him. This will encourage participation, create confidence in their abilities to guide or even become a trail guide. As each member completes the obstacle, have them do the same, until everyone has developed the know how.

4. If you are a driver and you’re behind the person who is engaged in an obstacle; then observe the on goings. But don’t jump out of your Jeep to begin guiding or over bearing the person who is guiding. If you want to help ask the guide, he or she will tell you if they need you or not. Don’t take offense to it, but the driver who’s going trough the obstacle can only follow one set of directions, not two or three. Plain language, stay in your vehicle, take photos at a distance or observe and learn.

5. When you can remember what to do, follow these directions again. Common sense approach to trail riding, remember!

6. Let's develope trail guides that will be able to handle the job, so that we have a good representation at Camp Jeep 2005. Winching will be part of the training too.

I am open to anyones comments and suggestions.
Tico