Return to Website

The Regimental Warpath Forum

Please use this Forum to discuss any aspects of your First World War research.

The Regimental Warpath Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WWi REGIMENTS !!!

The 13th South Lancs was a reserve Bn formed out of the 11th Bn and was used to supply men to the 11th Bn once it was in France and in action.

There are various reasons for why men were transfered to different battalions, if he was wounded and spent time in hospital he would have been sent back to France via a Base Depot, troops from these depots were not always sent to their parent regiment but where they were needed.

Also after the German March offensive in 1918 many battalions were reduced to cadre, this allowed the extra troops from these battalions to be used to bring other battalions up to strength. This happened to the 11th S Lancs, so this may be when he moved to a Welsh unit.

Unless you are one of the lucky few who's relatives documents survived Hitlers attentions during the second war you will probably never find out for sure what happened.

Re: Re: WWi REGIMENTS !!!

Thanks Brad,
I guess he was moved to the Welsh Reg then Welsh Fusiliers...funny there was no mention of the Lancs regiment on his index card....I guess I will have to try to get to England to see if the info survived the bombing.When you see for eg 1/3 battallion , does the 1 mean regiment...so confusing for a non army person.
Ann

Re: Re: Re: WWi REGIMENTS !!!

Have a look here http://www.warpath.orbat.com/armyinfo.htm

it might explain what you want to know.