Return to Website

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum

Welcome to the Norwood Arena Speedway Historic Website forum. Feel free to post a message.

Norwood Arena Speedway - Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bobby Sprague passed away

New England driving ace Bobby Sprague (age 78) passed away on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2006 at his residence surrounded by the love of his family.

He was the husband of the late Margaret Arlene (Randall) Sprague, who died on Jan. 22, 1994. Born in Taunton on Jan. 4, 1928, he was a son of the late John L. and Eva (Taylor) Sprague.

Mr. Sprague was a veteran of the U.S. Navy, having served from Jan. 1, 1945 until his honorable discharge on June 18, 1946 with the rank of machinist's mate, 3rd class. He was the recipient of the World War II Victory Medal, the American Area Medal and the Asiatic Pacific Area Medal.

He resided in Attleboro for the past five years, having previously lived in Norton, Mansfield and Foxboro.

A professional truck driver, Mr. Sprague was employed by DeGirolamo Trucking in Mansfield and had previously been employed by Franklin Pumping in Franklin and J. P. Noonan Petroleum Transport in West Bridgewater.

He was an ardent stock car racer from the age of 16 until retiring from the track in the late 1970s and often participated in races held in Norwood, Seekonk, Westboro, Lakeville, Lonsdale, R.I., Thompson, Conn. and Hudson, N.H.

A proud veteran, he was a life member of the Veterans of Foreign War Post 8049 in Norton and was a member of the American Legion Post 222, also in Norton.

He leaves a daughter, Roxanne Peasley and her husband, Barry Peasley, of Attleboro; three grandchildren, Rhonda L. Jewett of South Attleboro, Robin L. Fernandes of Brockton and Danielle M. Golden of Attleboro; six great grandchildren, Julio Lobo DePina Viens Jr. and Taylor John Viens, both in Florida; Carlos Alberto Fernandes Jr. and Roxanne Margaret Rose Fernandes, both of Brockton, Ashley Marie Viens of South Attleboro and Kalyn Marie Meyer of Attleboro; a sister, Edith White of Santa Fe, Texas and many nieces and nephews.

He was the brother of the late John Sprague, Norman Sprague, Warren "Bud" Sprague, Nancy (Dailey) Toher and Amy (Reid) Rausch.

Visitation with veteran's honors will be held on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2006 from 4 to 7:45 p.m. in the Memorial Chapel of the Dyer-Lake Funeral Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave. (exit 5 off I-95 N or S, go right at end of ramp, ¾ mile on left), Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Those in need of a ride to visitation may call the funeral home at 508-695-0200 to make and advance reservation for such gratis transportation.

Relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend a funeral service with veteran's honors following the conclusion of visitation on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2006 at 8 p.m. in the Memorial Chapel of the Dyer-Lake Funeral Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave. (exit 5 off I-95 N or S, go right at end of ramp, ¾ mile on left), Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro.

Following funeral services, the military will provide military honors and present the American flag to Mr. Sprague's family in honor of his service to our country.

Burial with be private.

A children's room will be available during visitation and the service.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the VistaCare Hospice Foundation, 354A Turnpike St., Suite 101, Canton, MA 02021.

To send the family an expression of sympathy, please visit our online register book at www.dyer-lakefuneralhome.com.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Dyer-Lake Funeral Home, 161 Commonwealth Ave., Village of Attleboro Falls, North Attleboro, 508-695-0200

Re: Bobby Sprague passed away

RIP Bobby

Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Glad to see you lived a long and full life before moving on.

Re: Re: Bobby Sprague passed away

I am Bobby's youngest grandaughter Danielle. I just want to express my appreciation for making the memorial on your web page for my grandfather. He loved what he did and did what he loved. He will be missed very much. Thank you again!
Danielle

Re: Re: Re: Bobby Sprague passed away

i just wanted to mention how much bobby touched my life. i first saw him race in the late fifty's and followed his career to the 42 mustang at sekonk. i had the pleasure to meet bobby and was pleased to see how much of a gentlemen he was. he always had the time to say hello, even after a bad night of racing, my thoughts and prayers are with his family. to this day he is my all-time favorite.